Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this true ?At cruising speeds then give the throttle a squeeze and sled bogs ,Anyone seen this before ? Can is a Sno stuff,

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No check engine lights on ,going to try stock can today,Almost thinking might fuel pump if it isnt the can

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have always ran cans on my 800 etecs, and have noticed the same (especially during break in) but this year I ran the stock can on my 2014 and it didn't miss a beat, even through break in. I will say I am done buying can.

Reactions: Roseth

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bought my 2012 etec used and it came with an mbrp can. Was fine in the mountains.

Brought it home and clutched sled, still fine. Then geared it and it bogged at 7000rpm every time. Could not get over that. Changed to stock can and the hesitation is almost gone. Still there sometimes but I can live with it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BOG FIXED! Stock can installed , :biggrin_old: Engine is in Break in Mode ,Brand new engine complete ,at 3310 whole engine needed replaced,Maybe look into Bmp they have a part to install with aftermarket can to prevent the bog issue and try that

·
Premium Member
27,910 Posts
The 2014 software update on the 800 ETEC caused many cans to trip muffler sensor code. Problem was mainly caused by the sensor location, and the manufacturers should have all that sorted by now. Still most cans are proven to rob power on the 800 ETEC. This I get from BRP.

IMO, any loss of power with a CAN will over time shorten the life of the engine. Unless an engine is designed to monitor and adjust for exhaust temps, choosing the right can is a crap shoot with FI. And the E-TECs are not much smarter than the older SDI.

·
Registered
253 Posts
BMP has a piece that moves the sensor, it helps quite a bit.

BRP is warrantying the Exhaust Temp Sensors for 5,000mi on all 12s and 13s, maybe more. They fail and cause all sorts of issues, but you will need a Check Engine Light first.

And yes, other than saving a bunch of weight, aftermarket pipes/cans/manifolds are proven to LOSE HP.

Etecs however are SIGNIFICANTLY smarter than the early SDIs, unfortunately, that is the problem. It most certainly modifies fuel and timing based on exhaust temp/air intake temp/coolant temp/etc... Everyone's RPM fade is a perfect example of that. If you want 20MPGs out of a 2-stroke with almost no oil consumption, there has got to be a sacrifice somewhere.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Had the same problem with a BMP can with a fresh motor this season. Top RPM inconsistant, intermittent bog when applying throttle. Had dealer check BUDS history, no codes or faults. Put stock muffler back on and it runs great, 7900-8000 every time, no bog.......

·
Registered
469 Posts
Just wish BRP would make it sound a little better. A Lot of people dont like the whisper that the etec puts out me for one. Im running a jaws can and so far no problems on my 14 800

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had the same problem with a BMP can with a fresh motor this season. Top RPM inconsistant, intermittent bog when applying throttle. Had dealer check BUDS history, no codes or faults. Put stock muffler back on and it runs great, 7900-8000 every time, no bog.......
Same here ,No codes

·
Registered
55 Posts
BMP has a piece that moves the sensor, it helps quite a bit.
BRP is warrantying the Exhaust Temp Sensors for 5,000mi on all 12s and 13s, maybe more. They fail and cause all sorts of issues, but you will need a Check Engine Light first.

And yes, other than saving a bunch of weight, aftermarket pipes/cans/manifolds are proven to LOSE HP.

Etecs however are SIGNIFICANTLY smarter than the early SDIs, unfortunately, that is the problem. It most certainly modifies fuel and timing based on exhaust temp/air intake temp/coolant temp/etc... Everyone's RPM fade is a perfect example of that. If you want 20MPGs out of a 2-stroke with almost no oil consumption, there has got to be a sacrifice somewhere.
Any papers from BRP saying they will cover the sensors? I had a MBRP can on for first 50 miles and didnt like how it was bogging down. Put stock can on and have not had any problems until last week. I now have 750 miles on sled and its throwing the check engine with the exaust sensor code. Dealer has cleared the code and pops back up after sled sits over night.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Wish I could get rich making parts that actually lose HP. Amazes me all the $$$ you guys waste on cans,reeds, and silly crap. Just Install a 26t top gear, and a proven clutch kit instead, and you will be amazed how the sled rips. Just my $.02. Couldnt help myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts