Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I would like to take my wife and 2 boys out west to do some mountain riding. Maybe a little off trail riding but nothing too crazy as we will be riding our 136”s. I’d even like to hire a guide for a couple days. Does anyone have advice on the best place to go and stay ? Thanks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A few of us went to the big horn mountains and stayed at the bear lodge resort. The have a guide service on site if needed. There are lots of groomed trails out there and they are groomed 2 times a day no matter what condition the trails are in. It is very off trail friendly also. We had 2 renegades (137") and one mxz (129") sleds. The shorter track got stuck a couple of times off trail but I chalk that one up more to rider inexperience more than the shorter track. All 3 sleds only had 1.25" tracks also and we went wherever we wanted to go.. food is on site at the lodge and other places around to ride to and eat also. Cell service and wifi at the is iffy and depends a lot on the weather. We had an excellent time and will probably go back again this season.

Sent from my SM-A716U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
It's is hard to go wrong with the Big Horns, the area around Togwotee Pass WY, or the Island Park ID area. There are motels in Dubois outside of Togwotee, and in Sheridan near to the Big Horns. Or there are the lodges in the midst of the riding areas. We have found that we prefer motels and rental home stays. If you choose a particular area or areas, everyone can chime in where they stayed. Where are you coming from?

Off-trail with a short track can be OK or an exercise in frustration. Being in an open area exposed to sunlight would be much better, as the sun will warm the upper surfaces and consolidate them into a stiffer surface layer. This gets repeated with snow and sun cycles. The soft spots are deep in forested areas, particularly in deeper 'holes and hollows' where the snow can settle very gently and at very low density. We had better luck with short tracks in some open areas.up on the flat open areas on the Big Horns, which jives with what was said above. Then we sunk the sleds multiple times in a forested meadow deep in a hollow outside of Gardiner MT, where the sun never shown on the light fluffy snow under the forest canopy. (One 120" track MXZ and one 137" track GT; the GT did better as you might expect.)

But in all those sites, there are plenty of trails. And it is easy to spend a few days each in the Big Horns and in the Togwotee Pass area. It is a short days' drive between the 2. And the Snowies are not far off in SE WY. (We have never been there.) You won't regret going!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Personally, as a first timer out west I would rent appropriate sleds for the location. A lot of stucks would make the whole family have an unpleasant experience of west riding. And why go all the way there just to go off trail once or twice. Rent long tracks, or 144/146 track with 2” minimum.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was just out there on vacation. I never really thought about riding out there because I'm a trail guy. I've never been good at the off trail type stuff and I thought that wad pretty much all that was out there. We drove past Togwotee and noted all the parking areas, trail crossing signs and the groomer sitting at the lodge. Now seeing this thread and the comment about the trails, it has really peaked my interest. It's a mind-blowingly beautiful area and I would love to see it from a sled.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would recommend Island Park. Rent the sleds out there, they are set up for the area conditions. I took my wife last season, she had never rode mountains, she had a good time trail riding and getting to see all the animals near Yellowstone. Was not too excited about when she would get stuck in the steep and deep, but it was still a good time and I would definitely recommend Island Park to anyone wanting to go west riding.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and went for the first time last year. Friend trailered 5 sleds out including mine and my sons, we flew into Bozeman and drove to Island Park. 3 people rented. There are awesome trials and will get you into the deep stuff, hilly areas, bowls, you name it. Fricken blast. Ive been mostly a trail rider mostly, with some boondocking, breaking trails, etc, but never to the mountains. If you can go, GO! We are already planning our next trip. Not sure i want to go to the UP now lol, as it dont compare by far. Gas, lodging, food, restaurants, everything was open, and of course West Yellowstone wasnt far away.
as far as sleds, i got lucky, and the guy has already agreed hes pulling ours out again, not always practical, but if you decide, reserve as soon as possible. 3 in our group had a crap shoot finding them, but did. My son brought his 137 which did a lot, but when he wanted to try more hed borrow mine or a friends 154. The scen
4023084C-1770-44B1-91E0-9CAE73B07B56.jpeg
ary out there i had only seen in a magazine. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would recommend Island Park. Rent the sleds out there, they are set up for the area conditions. I took my wife last season, she had never rode mountains, she had a good time trail riding and getting to see all the animals near Yellowstone. Was not too excited about when she would get stuck in the steep and deep, but it was still a good time and I would definitely recommend Island Park to anyone wanting to go west riding.
So how much do they get for sled rental ? I’m thinking about trailering 2 and renting 2. I just might say the heck with it and rent 4. I hope they have Ski-Doo’s.

·
Registered
602 Posts
So how much do they get for sled rental ? I’m thinking about trailering 2 and renting 2. I just might say the heck with it and rent 4. I hope they have Ski-Doo’s.
Here ya go,
Home | Beaver Creek Lodge Great folks, I've never been (i'm to old for the steep and deep). They work with Club out here and are just awesome. Anyone who's gone goes again and all Doo's too

·
Registered
677 Posts
I’ve rented and had my own out there and if I ever go again, I will rent. It cost me like $400 to tweak the clutch for out there and then I am left with those parts afterwards. Granted I had a 1200, so maybe more money 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke?, but I could have stuck that money into a Summit or RMK. Better braking with the bigger lugs if you grow a pair and want to climb stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Every time I have gone west I have rented. So much nicer when the sled happens to find the rock, tree or log under the powder or when you watch it roll down the mountain; to call your rental provider and they bring you a new sled. Last two times out I did the package deal with Island Park, five days of riding, cabin, plane tickets, sled rental and rental car total of two G. That is with an 850 summit 154 with three inch track. For another hundred a day you can go with the 850 turbo 165. Definitely worth it!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts