Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of jumping ship from my 800 2-stroke into a 1200.

I am leaning towards a MXZX shorty over a gade.

I was wondering if the air rad is a "nice to have" or a "need to have" on the 1200?

I don't do much slow speed riding unless the kids are on with me which is rare.

Looking to spring order something soon and am not entirely impressed with the new 850 etec. I'm already on my 3rd crank on my 2 stroke and am getting tired of changing them.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
No need for radiator. I've owned 3 1200s now and approx 20k miles with zero overheat issues

Gas and go machine

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks I appreciate it. I do all my own work and am pretty darn good at rebuilding the 800R's. Done 4 of them now from top to bottom. But would like a gas a go machine when I'm doing the 1000+ km trips with my buddies.

Getting tired of wincing every time I squeeze mine to the bar.

Reactions: Dr. Rotax

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
I have the aux rad and it sure came in handy today.. When you need it, you REALLY need it..Low snow after a warm up here. Fair amount of road riding and trails were rock hard/ice or dirt and puddles... Sleds never went over 4 bars on temp gauge but cooling fan kept coming on...One day a few years ago in NH there was another thaw then hard freeze.. I went out on ice trails and sleds were pulled over everywhere overheated.. Mine never went over 4 bars.. If you ride good snow and don't ride roads you won't/don't need it. If you go out when conditions are sketchy it's a nice thing to have.

Reactions: hawghunter

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Thanks I appreciate it. I do all my own work and am pretty darn good at rebuilding the 800R's. Done 4 of them now from top to bottom. But would like a gas a go machine when I'm doing the 1000+ km trips with my buddies.
Getting tired of wincing every time I squeeze mine to the bar.
Did you even squeeze that old girl to the bar once this year? No need for a rad in the conditions we ride in.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
Squeezing to the bar wasn't an option today.. Rock hard ruts and glare ice.. Still checking to make sure I have all my fillings

Reactions: hpindy

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you even squeeze that old girl to the bar once this year? No need for a rad in the conditions we ride in.
I did a trip from North Bay to Elliot Lake and back this year after the Feb long weekend. I squeezed it to the bar a few times on the lake crossings when my buddy with a 2014 Pro R wanted to play. After I embarrassed him a few times he quit.

I didn't bother squeezing the throttle above 80 when my friends with turbo 1200's went by at 129mph.

Reactions: Dr. Rotax

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have the aux rad and it sure came in handy today.. When you need it, you REALLY need it..Low snow after a warm up here. Fair amount of road riding and trails were rock hard/ice or dirt and puddles... Sleds never went over 4 bars on temp gauge but cooling fan kept coming on...One day a few years ago in NH there was another thaw then hard freeze.. I went out on ice trails and sleds were pulled over everywhere overheated.. Mine never went over 4 bars.. If you ride good snow and don't ride roads you won't/don't need it. If you go out when conditions are sketchy it's a nice thing to have.
x2 but mine is a 900 ace with the rad and fan kit added.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
x2 but mine is a 900 ace with the rad and fan kit added.
That's a great set up!.. How much do they get for the rad kit now?.. I know for awhile it was offered at a huge discount for 09' 1200 owners.. I think they changed the heat exchangers in subsequent years for better cooling?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
That's a great set up!.. How much do they get for the rad kit now?.. I know for awhile it was offered at a huge discount for 09' 1200 owners.. I think they changed the heat exchangers in subsequent years for better cooling?
Those were the days......LOL

They retailed for $549 and BRP was selling them at $79 for a while back in 09. I would bet there are still some out there NIB too.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Mine cost me 499 can. and it paid for itself this past sunday. Big melt saturday and hard frozen trails sunday. The two other doos were having over heating problems, mine stayed at 4 bars all day long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts