Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I am looking at building a sled for the Alcan 200 road race and was thinking about using an 05 or 06 motor not trail converted, and putting it in an older
CK or ZX chassis.reason for the old chassis is aerodynamics,Rev and xp are too tall. Essentially I need the thing to run at 110+ MPh for an hour and a half on an ice covered road.
Any thoughts on weather the motor can be put in the older skid or should I just work with an older mxzx complete?
The other part is to get it to last for the race and compensate for a 3200 foot elevation change.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
I have no advice either on something that will last wot for that long. Maybe a 4 stroke lol! Post the build I would love to see it!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks and yes it is a lot of fun. I suppose I should clarify that I am looking to run in the 440 class. I can do any mod I want but displacement cannot exceed 440 cc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks doofan, by rotary do you mean rotary valve? Also anyone know if the holtzman aatac would work on this sled?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again I thought that's what you meant. Another thought is hc or lc domes? I do not need low or mid range power as much as I need top end power plus reliability. Thought I read somewhere on here that the lc doesn't make much difference on the top end?

·
Registered
189 Posts
They didn't make a low comp vs high comp for those year 440, I would run low comp, with no ethenal 93. Those 440s are very stout and can get a lot more out of them with some base and tunnel porting and still be reliable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@snyper, all the liquids run an auxiliary air flow rad. Some have custom built and I have seen a heater core from a pickup strapped to the front of the sled so I have options but nothing decided yet. Gotta find a sled first.
@doofan, I am not familiar with base or tunnel porting, could you expand on this please? Also do you know what stock HPis on the 97-98?
Thanks to all for the input.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The crankcase/tunnels of the rotary valve get opened up and changed around a little bit, I think the horse power is around 95-98 but with work done I bet you could see 105 or so I could get 87.8 in 440 class on the ice in 660 feet and in a good hard pack crust I could get around 108-112 on a gps they are very under estimated sled/motor

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm that would do it at 112mph. Did your sled have the porting done? Any other mods like pipe and can?

·
Registered
189 Posts
That sled was all stock motor wise, I did put new flat slides of a 440rev and pod filters, and stock exhaust. Can't remember off the top of my head but I think I threw some 670 hearing at it

·
Registered
189 Posts
Crankshop vt builds skidoo motors and motor parts can point you in the right direction his name is Larry he knows his stuff and makes race /engine products that other people/company's use. I once had a 440 motor he built me for one of my 98 440x and that thing would turn 8900-9000 all day long that thing was a fun sled

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes I will be gearing up as far as possible, and as for the Crankshop, I think I will see what a stock machine can doo with small tweeks first. As mentioned if you can reach 112, relatively stock, I think I could probably get that up around 120.....I think!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
120mph sustained speed seems like a lot to ask out of a 440. Motor aside...I think you are going to need to focus on gearing and clutchin as well as reducing friction wherever possible.

Speed track, DuPont sliders, lots of idler wheels, big rear axle wheels, good bearings...etc

1 - 20 of 27 Posts