Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am starting to plan a trip out west. We live in Michigan and would like some ideas of places to go. We will have 5-6 guys. We are planning on renting Ski-Doo sleds, so we will fly out to a location. We would like to have a variety of riding experiences including trail riding, riding in open bowls and powder riding. Any suggestions?
Shawn

·
Registered
954 Posts
The places are endless couple places for you to check out could be Big Horns Wyoming, Cooke City Montana, and maybe even Tog Wyoming

·
2011 RMK PRO 155
8,136 Posts
For First time riders, I would look into the Snowy Range Wy, Near Laramie Plenty of lodging on and off Mountain. Albany Lodge Rents Cats, Maverick Motorsports in Laramie rents Doos. Another good place is Togwotee Mountain Lodge, Fly into Jackson Hole, and the lodge will pick you up, they Rent Polaris, Cat and Yamaha. If you decide to take your sleds, Look into http://www.momsmotorsports.com to haul your sled and gear West, ride in the Semi, or Fly out and Meet up with your sled and gear.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
First time out west, no question where to go for variety of riding...West Yellowstone...Togwotee is great but the elevation will get to about 1-4 people...and there is nothing more miserable than altitude sickness...

Decent Doo dealer in West, you can ride from town, plenty of restaurants and adult beverage places to hang out...Some hotels (GoldenWest) will guide you for beer and stories at night...

there is a reason it it is the snowmobiling capital of the world...(not my definition)

·
Registered
248 Posts
First time out west, no question where to go for variety of riding...West Yellowstone...Togwotee is great but the elevation will get to about 1-4 people...and there is nothing more miserable than altitude sickness...

Decent Doo dealer in West, you can ride from town, plenty of restaurants and adult beverage places to hang out...Some hotels (GoldenWest) will guide you for beer and stories at night...

there is a reason it it is the snowmobiling capital of the world...(not my definition)
X2... West Yellowstone is a lot of fun, a lot cheaper then Tog and a ton of places to ride. Already planing my groups trip out there at least once next year. O ya sled rentals are $50-100 cheaper a day then tog in case one of our sleds breaks down.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I took my first trip out west a couple years ago with 3 other guys when the snow was light out east. We went to Beaver Creek Lodge in Logan Canyon, UT. It was excellent. They rent "new" SKIDOOs. Definitely pay the money and get a guide, it is well worth it to get the most out of the "western" experience. We were riding between 5000 and 11000 feet elevation.

Great experience.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. I have been looking at all of these recommendations. When have you gone out west? We don't want to take away from riding in Michigan, so we were thinking early December.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks for the input so far. I have been looking at all of these recommendations. When have you gone out west? We don't want to take away from riding in Michigan, so we were thinking early December.
go on to some of the websites for the places that you are looking at staying. They will have photos there that should have a date tag or even a daily snow report. We went last year in late Jan as in years past that is when all the good snow seemed to be where we were riding. A place to start looking anyways

·
Registered
131 Posts
We went to UT in first week in February. We had great "virgin" (2+ foot fresh powder) snow riding conditions everywhere we rode.

Remember, out west it is all about POWER. Go for the 800R. Two guys from our group got 600s and I and another guy got 800Rs. There was a dramatic difference in where we could go (highmarking) between the 600s and 800s.

I highly recommend it. Put it on the BUCKET list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts