Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what peoples views where on changing heads to aftermarket?
What benefits there where and if any horse power was gained.

Thanks Bob

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Just better cooling, not much HP gains. Better cooling lets you jet down 1 or 2 sizes, I was told.

·
Registered
244 Posts
the reason i dont have an aftermarket head is because i dont want to be forced to run premium just in case im on the trail and happen to come across a gas station that does not have premium. detonation is not a pretty thing.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So with every after market head you gotta run premium?? Guess it wouldn't make sense to get one then.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I don't believe you HAVE to run premium. Email Cudney to find out for sure..

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just installed Rk tek head and put 350 miles on it this weekend. Kelsey will make the head to what ever fuel requirements you want you dont have to run premium if you dont want. If you want a high comp head then yeah your gonna have to run premium or better. I went from 500 mains down to 450 main and its still on the rich side havent had it long so im still tuning. Gas milage has improved and it flat out rips!!!! I would recommend RK Tek.
Andy

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have been pondering the idea of buying dantrins head. But there just isn't very many gas stations near me with premium. I would have to go twenty miles outta the way just to get it. I am buying his clutch kit tho so hopefully that makes an improvement. This year I have bought a track with 144 studs and re geared to 23 44. also put a mbrp race can on. The sled hooks up nice but I want a little more hook up. Also the sled has 8500 kilometres on it so I think the clutch could use an upgrade.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
leave it stock, more reliable imo....clutch it gear it and maybe a set of dual rings...all these bolt on mods with pipes and cans and heads does is shorten the life of the motor, if that matters to anyone

·
Registered
46 Posts
Added aftermarket head to my 01 800, extra 2mpg after I was able to go down 2 jet sizes on the mains. Added a thicker base gasket which raised the exhaust ports using the same jugs. That left the compression about same as it was stock. I put in a clutch kit and reeds at same time, both of which should of lowered my gas mileage if done by themselves. So I don't know the exact effect on performance of the head because of the other mods at the same time but the increased gas mileage was nice on the longer trips, added a safety net for me.
I ran regular gas in it, without the higher compression there was no need for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts