Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have installed a GPS on my 2016 MXZ-X I want to add a switch for constant power. I remember seeing some threads where people did this but I cannot find them. Does anyone have a picture where' you added the switch? I would like a waterproof switch with an LED that lights when it is on. I have not pulled all the plastic off to see where adding a switch is possible. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I just finished installing a gps switch on my sled yesterday. I was able to find a nice switch labeled gps and also backlit. Also waterproof ip66
Mine's mounted on a cat but that shouldn't make a difference
52cee24b425241fdd5fb276dbe0c6dc9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
What model gps are you using?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I have always just ran to the starter solenoid and haven't bothered with a switch, only something else to fail when I need my GPS. The amount of power used by a GPS would take considerable time to discharge a battery. Also, when you take your GPS from the cradle there isn't any draw on your battery.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have always just ran to the starter solenoid and haven't bothered with a switch, only something else to fail when I need my GPS. The amount of power used by a GPS would take considerable time to discharge a battery. Also, when you take your GPS from the cradle there isn't any draw on your battery.
How would i find the starter solenoid on a 2019 850?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just above the brake disc there is a panel that comes of very easily, you have to take out a push pin to the left of the panel and then lift the panel off. The solenoid is right above the brake disc, there are two wires on the solenoid, closest one delivers power to the starter when the button is engaged. The inside one is your source of continuous power. You will also want a ground, I took my hood off, easy process that is explained in the owners manual or on YouTube. With the hood off, I mounted a ground to the steering column support by loosening one of the support bolts and placing a wire with grommet over it. It may sound like a lot of work, but it is quite simple.

Before I did any work, I removed the ground wire from the battery to make sure that the wire to the solenoid was not live while doing my hookup. Removing the positive wire, gives the same results.

·
Registered
515 Posts
There is always a draw even if Gps is removed unless your gps is running at 12 volts. Most run at 5 volts so the in-line reducer is always working. After 5 days my new battery was dead. No more worries now that I have switch installed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
325 Posts
If your draining a battery with a GPS mount after five days, I would be looking for other problems. I don't drain a battery with a mount after 5 months in the trailer and I have been doing this for a very long time. If there isn't a GPS in the cradle, you have an open circuit so there is nothing requiring a reduction to 5 volts.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If your draining a battery with a GPS mount after five days, I would be looking for other problems. I don't drain a battery with a mount after 5 months in the trailer and I have been doing this for a very long time. If there isn't a GPS in the cradle, you have an open circuit so there is nothing requiring a reduction to 5 volts.
Theres a few guys on this site that had the same problem and a switch solved it. Maybe your not running a Garmin or your setup is different. On the 2797 that voltage reducer is always working. If it works for you that great , just one less step you have to take setting it up

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've ran Garmins since my first one in 98, in recent years its been the Montana series and the 276. Prior to that it was the 72 and versions that I can't even remember. I'm glad that I didn't have to go to the step of adding a switch, it would definitely be a pain to forget and run down your battery, especially without a pull start back up. Maybe this is a feature of the automotive style GPS units.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I didn’t have that problem with my 276c but it also didn’t have that reducer in-line. Hand down that the best gps to date I’ve owned. The screen is just to small for my old eyes. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts