Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently purchased a 1971 Ski Boose Mark II hoping to give some fun to our grandchildren like we gave our girls back around 1990 towing a Ski Boose with an Olympique. The tow sled will hopefully be my son in laws 2008 MXZ 800 but I recently looked at it and am hoping somehow it can be adapted to pull the Ski Boose. It has a bumper/lift handle on it but it is the one with a bend in it's midpoint and another major problem is that due to the newer suspensions the bumper is very high. This means
Plant Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Tree
if I adapted the present bumper the Ski Boose would be tilted drastically upwards. My question is does anyone have a solution to adding a hitch to the MXZ that puts the tower to the Ski Boose relatively level? I have no problem buying a different bumper, perhaps one that is straight across. Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Hi Super370guy,
That's a great looking Ski Boose and it's in great shape too! I just thought I'd let you know that it is actually a 1972 Mark II, not a 71. The VIN tag likely has the year of 1971 which designates a 72 model year. The first four numbers should start with 2902. It's good to know exactly what you have in case you are ever looking for the correct parts.

Sorry, I'm no help with adapting the MXZ for towing it. Never did that, but I know many others have. Someone will likely chime in with ideas and pictures. The only opinion I have on the matter is try to keep the Ski Boose all original. Don't modify the original tow bar and hitch. It will decrease the value of it (if that is important to you). Keep us posted on your progress,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Kingsville Doo Nut,
Thanks for that seal number information, you are correct. The serial number does begin with 2902. Amazingly there is the Bombardier Serial Number Tag with serial number dated NOV 1971 and there is also a Canada Transport CMVSS and NSVAC 931 label on it. I do not plan to modify the Ski Boose at all I just want to paint things so there isn't quite so much rust/patina. The original goal was to preserve the patina but I changed my plan and will paint the tub and skis. The inside has substantial surface rust because the wood support for the seat must have been wet and pretty much rotted away causing rust. I plan to do the work myself using Rust-Oleum Marigold and hope it matches pretty well. One good thing is that the hood and windshield are in excellent condition so no fiberglass work necessary but I do know the windshield might be quite fragile. I will post the final pictures, thank you once again. Here is the picture from about 1990 with my young family, that Ski Boose had a different seat set up.
Property Window Snow Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Registered
712 Posts
Getting a towing bumper like this, Hitch Rear Bumper There are several so check fitment for your machine. You would normal bolt this on to it, Tongue Type Hitch and be good to go, but you might have to fab something to bolt onto the bumper to lower the hitch height.

·
Registered
13,551 Posts
I don't want to discourage you, but I'll give some insight into potential problems you may encounter.
I towed a similar caboose with my 2006 800 rev when my boys were little. Problems being the liquid cooled machine needs some speed to keep snow being thrown at the heat exchanger. Putting around at slow speeds safe for little ones in the caboose may lead to overheating of the snowmobile. The other problem I encountered was the long travel suspension of the newer machine caused the caboose to ride like a bucking bronco when the trails got rough. In the end I gave up trying to tow it with a newer sled. It was much better suited to the 1996 Formula SL fan cooled sled we had. Hope you guys have fun however way you go about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Stealth Bomber,
That is all very important information and especially the over heating issue, thank you!!! They certainly will be "putting" around but trail use could be limited as they live near a couple of large wide open fields with a Christmas Tree Farm on it but that being said they won't be going too fast as you say so over heating has to be considered. I have been thinking I could buy the HD rear bumper and after we have surprised them with the Ski Boose maybe we can discuss a modification to the new bumper. I was thinking it could be cut and re-welded at whatever angle works and add a gusset on each side which would level out the tow bar. I hope the end result won 't be buying another snowmobile as the kids will out grow the Ski Boose in a few years, LOL. Once again your inputs are greatly appreciated Stealth Bomber!

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Thinking a bolt-on mod to the Boose hitch might be a better option.

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
It really isn't as drastic as you might think. I tow my grandkids around in a NILA (basically the same thing as a Ski-boose) and it does tilt up a little , but it seems to help them sit properly in the seat. Doesn't push them forward like it used to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts