Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
I trashed my SC4 and am interested in getting opinions on the Expert X skid. i have an opportunity to buy one relatively cheap and I'm just trying to find out if it's for me. I ride bumped up stuff really hard and like to do small drops and big tables, but don't want to sacrifice my straight/lake/groomer manners.

How are they to set up? Tough to dial in? Durable? Hit me with some experiences.

Thanks,
Wayne

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
How are they to set up? Tough to dial in? Durable? Hit me with some experiences.
Extremely quick and easy to adjust. Easy to dial in but aftermarket springs help alot. The stock ones don't have the best spring rate. And it's hands down the strongest suspension money can buy. The rails and swingarms are THICK which is why it's so heavy. You also get a true 11" of travel under your feet.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I had mine in a Cat mod. If money is no concern, contact vanamburg enterprises and get some custom Ti. spring for the stock shocks. If you're on a budget, get the steel ones. I won't reccomend an Expert-X because I ride in the mountains and they're heavy and hold alot snow in the swingarms (lots of added weight). For trail riding I'm sure it'd be a good upgrade over the stock suspension.

·
Hurry, pull my string again!
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah no doubt. i live in NY, so i do some boondocking, but i never get to ride mountain terrain in deep pow or anything. Are you saying that the snow holding is mainly a problme in the deep stuff? How much weight sare we really talking? They advertise on ADB site that it's comparable to or lighter than stock suspension. 62# or so. I wonder what my SC4 weighs...

·
Registered
87 Posts
The Wayniac said:
yeah no doubt. i live in NY, so i do some boondocking, but i never get to ride mountain terrain in deep pow or anything. Are you saying that the snow holding is mainly a problme in the deep stuff? How much weight sare we really talking? They advertise on ADB site that it's comparable to or lighter than stock suspension. 62# or so. I wonder what my SC4 weighs...
[snapback]734095[/snapback]​
I had an expert x in my rev and it was no good "I did not like it" it would bottem out in the ruff stuff and it cant handel jumps.So I called ad bolvin an told them the type of ridding i do and thay said it was not made for that!So I put the factory skid back in the sled and what a big difference."Don't waste your money"

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
raymo1979 said:
The Wayniac said:
[snapback]734095[/snapback]​
I had an expert x in my rev and it was no good "I did not like it" it would bottem out in the ruff stuff and it cant handel jumps.So I called ad bolvin an told them the type of ridding i do and thay said it was not made for that!So I put the factory skid back in the sled and what a big difference."Don't waste your money"
[snapback]734171[/snapback]​
my brother has one in a rev and it needed alot of work as fatr a valving and springs rates. His bottomed alot and was to rough in the studders.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm pretty sure thats what comes in these snowhawks.
All I can tell you, (since I have a rev to compare with) is that they SUCK!
It's just a freakin pogo stick if there are ANY bumps on the trail.

Fantastic in the powder.......not to much suspenssion needed then.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've ridden an m 10 for years and it was awesome. I think the new m12 can give you what you want. The most versatile suspension imo.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I had the bovin skid in ski doos 98 670 a few years back and like sledr said it was like a pogo stick in the big bumps, it was plush on the rollers but no good for hammering,

·
Registered
477 Posts
One of the guys I ride with uses a M-12 and he loves it. It will take anything he can throw at it and more. Same guy used to have an Expert a few years back and in comparision the M-12 is way better in his opinion. Weight transfer is virtually nonexistant but unless you are a dragracer or are into snow cross then its a nonissue. Id go for the 12er hands down.

·
Registered
267 Posts
dave583 said:
I've ridden an m 10 for years and it was awesome. I think the new m12 can give you what you want. The most versatile suspension imo.
[snapback]735113[/snapback]​
What style sled did you have it in,, and whats your riding or skill level ..
Just curious, I was thinking of an M-10 or 12,, but was told they were too heavy and were mostly just a bunch of sag..
This is from a guy that was a factory Arctic Cat mechanic up until 3 years ago..
I would tend to trust his opinion...
They did try it on there mod sleds, but thought it was too heavy with a lot of sag..
They did say it worked pretty descent, but not as good as the stock skid..
I would think that the manufaturers would have added more suspension to the sleds in the past few years or so, but there still pretty much the same, but the shocks and ride are a lot better..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts