Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share some pictures of my Expedition Sport 600ACE with a few accessories. I have the ultra high windshield, the adjustable handle bar riser, the glove box extension to accommodate my Garmin Montana GPS, a small mirror, and a cargo box. Not so visible are the accessory outlet inside the glove box and the automotive studs in the track. I have ski skins waiting to go on, but for now, the stock skis are doing quite nicely at keeping the front end on top of the few inches of snow we have.

Hawkesnest, I know you had some questions about accessories in your PM. I hope this is helpful.

20160206_160508.jpg

20160206_160444.jpg

20160206_160719.jpg

20160206_160646.jpg

·
Registered
470 Posts
Looks like yer set to go. Is that a BRP cargo box? I found one at Tractor Supply for 40 bucks that fits pretty good and fills in pretty much the whole back rack. I carry a lot of "just in case" junk for pulling my Brother-In-Laws Acrtic Cat outta' the snow banks.

How high is the adjustable riser? I wish mine was a couple inches taller. Little awkward for me to ride standing when I am trying to look cool.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just wondering how tall you are and if the new windshield is able to direct the air over your head and still allow you to look over the windshield while seated. And do you think tha the windshield is sturdy enough to support mirrors? I know the catalog says they fit but can they be supported enough to be effective in your opinion? Been considering an Ultra High for myself and would appreciate some info from someone who has one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Dan, the Expedition Sport is very comfortable, and the subdued exhaust note certainly adds to that comfort.

Airliner9, no the cargo box is not BRP. It's a box that I had long before I bought the Expedition. It came from Wal-Mart. It fits very well, and I have been asked by many if it is a BRP box. I put it on temporarily. I have a bigger box in mind.

The adjustable riser, as I measure it from end to end, is approximately 7.25 inches when down/collapsed and approximately 9.75 inches when up/extended. I measure the stock riser as approximately 6.25 inches. I have some serious shoulder issues, and the 7.25 riser height is more comfortable than the stock riser for me when seated, and I look really cool standing with the 9.75 riser. :cool_old: Seriously though, the tall riser gives extra leverage for my worn out shoulders when doing maneuvers that call for standing. I have a four inch riser that I added to my Tundra 300. I can't imagine riding (for me) without a taller riser.

Gastay, I am 6 feet tall. The ultra high windshield does in fact direct the air over my head, and I am able to look over the windshield while I am seated. It's a tall windshield. If I am looking at the area right directly down and in front of my sled when riding, I have to look through the windshield. When looking ahead while riding, I see over the windshield. Whether it's snowmobiles or motorcycles, I don't like riding and looking through a windshield.

There is some vibration in my windshield. Will it support mirrors? Obviously I don't have mirrors on my windshield, but I'm going to speculate that if I did, they would be pretty ineffective mirrors.

I put quite a few miles on my sled with the stock windshield; never knew it was there. The new windshield is obvious...it's big. As I went for my first short ride with the new windshield, I started to second guess my decision. It was big, and there was some vibration. Then as I got onto a groomed trail and started picking up speed, I realized that I wasn't hearing wind turbulence howling around my helmet. The air/wind seemed to be deflected around me. On my Tundra 300 I can always hear the engine and exhaust, and the air turbulence around my helmet seems insignificant. On the quiet Expedition Sport 600ACE with stock windshield, that howling wind turbulence seemed really loud. With this new windshield, the howling air/wind is gone. I wear a modular helmet, and sometimes I like to have the front lifted when I am riding and looking hard for something. I found that was not very comfortable to do with the stock windshield. Air from the windshield was directed right into my face. I took a little test ride yesterday while wearing just a knit hat. I was very comfortable. I haven't used the new windshield in a lot of different situations yet, but so far I like it. I think I will be able to live with the vibration.

Tonynfld, the mirror is a cheap one ($6.00?) that I picked up at Auto Zone. It is attached to the side panel by way of a self adhesive backing. It doesn't hold it's position well with its plastic ball and socket set up, but I think I have a fix for that. This little mirror was meant to be temporary. I'm not sure what I want to do about mirrors yet. Who knows, I might end up keeping the little mirror on there and adding another one just like it to the right side of the sled. I don't tow anything, so I don't look back to watch a sleigh or toboggan. I just want to see if sleds/headlights are overtaking me.

I hope all this was helpful.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Got my new 600ace yesterday. Spent the morning adding a few modifications to it. I will try to post pics when it's all done. I removed the rear rack and installed the linQ 40l box as well as the linQ medium bag. The ultra tall windshield is going on there as well as a tank back and heated riser bag. I want to dd mirrors, but I am not a fan of the OEM ones that are on the ultra tall windshield. I like the idea of a small one mounted on the cowling like yours. The last thing I think I want to do is replace the seat with a renegade seat since they are just as comfy and make it easier to swing your foot around when playing in the powder. Hopefully I get to go out and ride some more this year if my leg heals up. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I thought I would share some pictures of my Expedition Sport 600ACE with a few accessories. I have the ultra high windshield, the adjustable handle bar riser, the glove box extension to accommodate my Garmin Montana GPS, a small mirror, and a cargo box. Not so visible are the accessory outlet inside the glove box and the automotive studs in the track. I have ski skins waiting to go on, but for now, the stock skis are doing quite nicely at keeping the front end on top of the few inches of snow we have.

Hawkesnest, I know you had some questions about accessories in your PM. I hope this is helpful.
That is all good to know.

So is there an accessory/power outlet in addition the one you mention in the glove box?

The owners manual says this.

20) 12-Volt Power Outlet On all models, a 12-volt power outlet is installed at front, near steering column.

How are the automotive track studs installed, is it something you can do yourself or do you have to have a special tool?

Can you show a close up picture of the studs?

Also, and if you don't want to I'll understand, but what were the prices of the different accessories?

Thanks again,

HawkesNest

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got my new 600ace yesterday. Spent the morning adding a few modifications to it. I will try to post pics when it's all done. I removed the rear rack and installed the linQ 40l box as well as the linQ medium bag. The ultra tall windshield is going on there as well as a tank back and heated riser bag. I want to dd mirrors, but I am not a fan of the OEM ones that are on the ultra tall windshield. I like the idea of a small one mounted on the cowling like yours. The last thing I think I want to do is replace the seat with a renegade seat since they are just as comfy and make it easier to swing your foot around when playing in the powder. Hopefully I get to go out and ride some more this year if my leg heals up. Fingers crossed.
Hope your leg comes around so you can enjoy your new sled (once again). Will be watching for pictures.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hawkesnest, there is a power supply next to my steering column. It's used to supply power for my heated shield on my helmet. The accessory outlet in the glove box is of the style commonly referred to as the 'cigarette lighter' outlet. I will likely use it for things like my cell phone or my rechargeable flashlight.

A special tool is required to stud tracks with automotive studs. The tool at the dealer's shop was broke when I purchased my sled so the job was farmed out to an automotive shop. Studding a snowmobile track is done basically the same way snow tires are studded. I have the screw in studs in my '07 Tundra track. I thought I would try automotive studs on my Expedition Sport. LabradorBoy and some others have had good luck with them.

I have included a link to the BRP accessory catalog. It has accessory pictures, descriptions, and prices. http://www.publications.brp.com/doc/brp-ski-doo-pac-north-america-us-en/2016-fall-winter-catalog/2015082101/#0

The one significant snowmobile accessory I can't seem to find is snow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the link to the catalog, I couldn't find the accessory for the snow either. :laugh_old: :biggrin_old:

Thanks for the info about the power outlets too.

So when you say you have the screw in studs on your '07 Tundra track, do they screw into the lugs or the belt part of the track?

Have you had the right conditions to decide if you like the screw in or automotive studs better than one or the other?

I would assume that the automotive studs don't stick out quite as far.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hawkesnest, the studs in the track of my '07 Tundra screw into the tips of the lugs. You are correct, the screw type studs stick out further than the automotive studs.

I have ridden my Expedition Sport on groomed trails that have had some patches of ice. I had no loss of control. That basically is all I'm looking for from studs...getting around in control. I should add that I don't ride aggressively.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That is a nice tall windshield, if only BRP would include them on the machine.

The adjustable riser would be nice too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hawkesnest, the studs in the track of my '07 Tundra screw into the tips of the lugs. You are correct, the screw type studs stick out further than the automotive studs.

I have ridden my Expedition Sport on groomed trails that have had some patches of ice. I had no loss of control. That basically is all I'm looking for from studs...getting around in control. I should add that I don't ride aggressively.
Thanks Hardwoods, Since I have never owned a snowmobile, I never knew about putting studs in tracks until about a week ago when I ran across several videos on YouTube. Seems like the automotive studs would add the least amount of weight.

About how far do they stick out of the lug?

Are the automotive studs the least costly?

My wife and I borrowed a couple of old sleds today and went for a nice ride, Can't wait to get an Expedition Sport 600 Ace next season though, I won't miss the noise and the oil smoke of the two strokes.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Hardwoods, Since I have never owned a snowmobile, I never knew about putting studs in tracks until about a week ago when I ran across several videos on YouTube. Seems like the automotive studs would add the least amount of weight.

About how far do they stick out of the lug?

Are the automotive studs the least costly?

My wife and I borrowed a couple of old sleds today and went for a nice ride, Can't wait to get an Expedition Sport 600 Ace next season though, I won't miss the noise and the oil smoke of the two strokes.
Coming here, reading, looking, and asking questions was a wise thing to do before making your purchase. I have often said that I have learned more here at DOOTalk than I could have learned in ten lifetimes of trial and error on my own (and I have owned a few sleds in my life.) There are a lot of good people here willing to share their knowledge and the fruits of their experimentation.

I'm not an expert on studs, but I can tell you that studs have been around forever in one form or another. Yes in general, I think you could say that automotive type studs would add the least amount of weight to the track. Automotive studs protrude approximately 1/16 to 1/8 of inch from the tip of the track lug. Screw in studs protrude approximately 1/4 inch from the tip of the track lug. Note that I said approximately. Even in the two different types of studs there are different sizes and styles. They all do pretty much the same thing; just to a different degree. Folks often have a preference for particular types and styles of studs, like they have a preference for particular sleds. Everybody likes what they like. Some are passionate about it.

Costly? With automotive studs you are at the mercy of having a shop install them; so the cost of the studs plus the hourly shop rate. With screw in studs you could shop around and buy (they vary greatly in style and prices) and install them yourself. Or if you choose to have a shop do it, you're back at the mercy of shop rates.

Good to hear that you and your wife had a chance to get out for a ride. Borrowing, renting, or test driving a sled is a good way to find out what you like or don't like.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thought I would share a photo before I ride...again. Ultra tall windshield, tank bag, riser bag, linQ medium, linQ 40L, and a renegade seat with storage. Let's see if I can this one from burning up.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
Thought I would share a photo before I ride...again. Ultra tall windshield, tank bag, riser bag, linQ medium, linQ 40L, and a renegade seat with storage. Let's see if I can this one from burning up.
Nice set up!

If I ever live somewhere I can spend the majority of my time touring on groomed trails, that's exactly what I'd want, only with the 900. :buddies:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good! Is the leg fit for riding?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts