Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1998 Formula Z with AD BOivin A.R.C. rear suspension and I was curious why Bombardier stopped putting it in there sleds or made a new version of it? Any reasons? Also how much horsepower does the non-HO 670 motor make?

Thanks,

Patch

·
Registered
335 Posts
The ARC had it's downfalls and some say it ruined an otherwise outstanding sled in the F/Z 670 in '98. The big thing was bottoming out for heavier riders on rough trails. Being 150lbs, I don't have that problem. At least I haven't yet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ram said:
The ARC had it's downfalls and some say it ruined an otherwise outstanding sled in the F/Z 670 in '98. The big thing was bottoming out for heavier riders on rough trails. Being 150lbs, I don't have that problem. At least I haven't yet.
[snapback]313548[/snapback]​
i was looking at AD ZBoivins website and showed aftermarket coil lokie springs u know anything about them or if they are any good??

·
Registered
183 Posts
BRP probably did away with the ARC since it wasn't their suspension, therefore it cost them more money to put it in their sleds. Also that is probably why it was only in one sled for two years, The FZ 670. I personally think it is a great trail riding suspension. The upgrade springs are a must if you weigh more than 180lbs.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Ram said:
Personally I like the ride too.
[snapback]313583[/snapback]​
I am actually going to line one up tomorrow and see if I can't squeeze it in my F III. The C-7 has nice transfer if you race all day, but totally sucks on the trails.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ram said:
I haven't looked into them myself yet but I've heard a few people with the ARC have and it improved the ride.
Again I assume for the heavier riders.
[snapback]313558[/snapback]​
What settings are your shocks on??

·
Registered
586 Posts
My manual says my 98 Formula Z 670 has a ARM suspension. Is there a difference between ARC & ARM or are they the same?

·
Registered
335 Posts
My front shocks (skis) are 1 up from the softest and the 2 in the front of rear suspension are at 3.
I'm not sure if this is where they will stay tho as I was just dialing it in when we ran out of snow.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i got my ski springs set on 2 and rear shocks set on 2. so far that seems ok. it just bottoms out on really big bumps while catching some air. i weigh about 200-210 lbs and bought the AD BOIVIN springs and they are a MUST if you weigh atleast 180. they are super easy to install.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am trying to get this upgrade kit for my '98 FZ670, but no luck. AD boivin has discontinued the suspension upgrade kit that is available for the 1998/99 Formula Z 670.(Although they still show it on their website).

·
Registered
282 Posts
ask your doo dealer, they still have them up here. I have my front end 2nd from the hardest and same with the rear. Its a bit rough but it handles great, next to no inner ski lift I only way about 145lbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been doing more research and found that doo dealers do carry higher rated springs. The stock spring is made up of a short spring and a long spring put together. You can upgrade the long spring to a higher load rating. The short spring stays the same. The thing is, I am note sure if upgrading this long spring will give the same effect as the AD boivin ETS arm kit they used to sell. Any inputs on this?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ram said:
Personally I like the ride too.
[snapback]313583[/snapback]​
I just got one and for a lighter person the ride is awesome compared to the SC-10
A.D. Boivin was an engineer that used to work for Bomabardier so when he invented the arc susp. (after he had quit or fired?) skidoo had to pay royalties to him so they felt it was too expensive so they scraped that suspension after two years. I had a 99 mxz 600 and had to install lighter torsion springs and still ride the crap out of it to get a good ride

·
Regular ol' run-of-the-mill Member
5,646 Posts
I just called AD Boivin myslef about a month ago and asked them if they still made the upgrade springs. They said No, but they'd make me a set and send them to me anyway. Credit card over the phone, cost me $151 shipped to my door in Indiana. Outstanding upgrade, completely eliminates the bottoming and bucking that it used to do. If you want a set, go to www.adboivin.com, find the "contact us" link, and call their phone # and ask some questions. They were very helpful and sold me a set fresh off the press.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts