Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone has their heros.

Kirby Puckett was mine.

LA had Magic Johnson, New York had Mickey Mantle, Chicago had Micheal Jordan.....Minnesota had Kirby.

This is truely a sad turn of events and it still hasnt really sank in.

RIP.

G

·
Sorry to hear that. I knew he had taken a turn for the worse but wasn`t aware until now that he had past away!

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
MTM said:

Kirby Puckett was mine.

LA had Magic Johnson, New York had Mickey Mantle, Chicago had Micheal Jordan.....Minnesota had Kirby.

RIP.
[snapback]750209[/snapback]​
Yes I too have been saddened by the news of Kirby Pucketts death today at 44...

I would not say i am a fan of the Twins but i am a fan of Kirby Puckett as he was a great athlete and also a great person of which MLB seems to be lacking in these days...

God Bless Kirby

·
MTM follower
2,592 Posts
Wow I didn't even see this on the news.

RIP

I thought you were talking about Herschel Walker when you mentioned #34.

·
Registered
167 Posts
MTM said:

Kirby Puckett was mine.

RIP.
[snapback]750209[/snapback]​
44 years old is way to young. It hits home when I pick up the paper every night and see people my age (41) passing away all of the sudden. I guess we all have to live every day like it was our last, who knows what tomorrow may bring.

He will be missed, it was sad to see him leave the game so early with his eye problems and all.

Steve

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
This is a tragic day for his family, his friends and his fans. Baseball lost a great legend today. It was him today, could be any one of us tomorrow

·
Snowtard
2,587 Posts
Wow
I loved KP. It has him, Boggs, Mattingly and Gwinn. 3 guys who hit 300+ with thier eyes shut. Kirby Puckett retired with a 317 ba, best for a RH hitter since Joe Dimaggio. I still remember the 87 & 91 Twins like it was yesterday. i will miss him......

·
Registered
941 Posts
Another great player/human being is gone. Prayers for the family. MTM, what was his medical condition that he retired so early in life?

·
found elsewhere
11,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a player, Puckett made everyone happy

By Jim Caple
ESPN.com

Editor's Note: Jim Caple covered the Twins as a beat writer for the St. Paul Pioneer Press from 1989-93 and then as the national baseball writer from 1994-99.

I don't know where the funeral is going to be because there isn't a church big enough to hold everyone.

I have never covered any athlete who was more universally liked and admired than Kirby Puckett. What Michael Jordan was to basketball and Chicago, Puck was to baseball and Minnesota. Indeed, the Twins used to wear T-shirts that read "I wanna be like Puck." (Do you think there are "I wanna be like Barry" T-shirts in San Francisco's clubhouse?) Puck's locker was the one every player surrounded at the All-Star Game. And why not? A clubhouse with Puck in it was always a happier place than one without him.

Puck was always among the first to arrive at the stadium, and when he wasn't in the cage taking batting practice (and he took hours of BP), you could find him chattering away in the clubhouse or in the dugout, busting on his teammates, making everyone smile, making everyone laugh, making everyone -- players, coaches, reporters -- feel better. Not many players make a real difference to a team beyond what they do on the field. Puck did, though. He personally took Shane Mack under his wing and transformed him from a nervous wreck into a confident, solid player simply with his upbeat personality. He was like that with everyone. His infectious, positive presence helped teammates play to their potential.

And the fans? Oh my, did he make them feel good. Puck was so popular the Twins used to separate their fan mail into two piles: One for Puck and one for everyone else. There would be 60 to 70 a day in the Puck pile, more than 11,000 over the course of a season (not counting spring training). If the writer included a stamped self-addressed envelope with the autograph request, Puck signed. Baseball cards not autographed by Puck are probably worth more than those signed by him.

I remember talking to Puck one day while he autographed 10 boxes of baseballs. I asked him whether he ever tired of it. "Look," he said while signing a ball. "See how little time it takes to autograph a ball? If it takes me 30 seconds to make someone happy, why not do it?"

A clubhouse kid handed him another ball while we talked. "Puck? Could you sign this?" the attendant asked. "It's for a friend of mine who has a little boy at the Mayo Clinic. He has leukemia."

Puck signed that baseball and then finished up the rest of the balls. And then someone handed him a bat and he signed that one, too. "To Ken Griffey Jr. -- all my best, Kirby Puckett."

A millionaire player, a child with leukemia, a reporter -- he treated everyone with the same respect and good humor.

·
Super Moderator
29,343 Posts
Kirby was always a class act. Sad day, he'll be missed.

·
Snowtard
2,587 Posts
iasauto, come on
You never threatened to kill your girlfiend/wife????????????

·
Registered
700 Posts
it's a sad day indeed,he will be deeply missed. my condolences go out to his family

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
We heard on the radio he was 408 pounds when he past away. That could not be good!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
RIP Kirby. He was a great player of the game and and even greater player FOR the game. I am a Twins fan for two people......Kirby and Ace Deshaies.

·
Registered
290 Posts
cArNaGe said:
Wow I didn't even see this on the news.

RIP

I thought you were talking about Herschel Walker when you mentioned #34.
[snapback]750242[/snapback]​
#34 Hershel Walker
thats funny

Kirby was a great player for the game of baseball and MN was blessed to have him play for them. He will be missed by many!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts