Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last winter was the first season I had this sled. It is a 2002 Mxz 500. It would bog down when it gets to about 6500 rpms. It would not go above 6500 at all. I know one of my carb boots is ripped so hopefully I can fix that and the problem will be solved. Does anyone think this is not the problem associated with the bogging down?

My next question is about my suspension. Yesterday I picked up the back of my sled and when I put it down after the track hit the ground it settled down about 3-4 inches. Is this normal?

·
Map of the Problematique
5,109 Posts
Last winter was the first season I had this sled. It is a 2002 Mxz 500. It would bog down when it gets to about 6500 rpms. It would not go above 6500 at all. I know one of my carb boots is ripped so hopefully I can fix that and the problem will be solved. Does anyone think this is not the problem associated with the bogging down?

My next question is about my suspension. Yesterday I picked up the back of my sled and when I put it down after the track hit the ground it settled down about 3-4 inches. Is this normal?
3-4 inch sag isn't too bad for a 9 year old sled. Unfortunately it probably doesn't have revlavlable shocks so your options there are either replacement or putting some heavier springs to it.

I wouldn't even run the motor at all until you replace the carb boots. That could be causing the bog, but like I said...I wouldn't even start the thing until those boots are replaced!

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Could be leaning out and causing the bog from the bad carb boots. Could also need to have both clutches gone through and check for sacked springs, worn buttons and check to see if what you have for clutch components is stock or not. After that pull and inspect the rave valves. They may be stuck closed.

I agree with impunity! Fix the boots at a minimum before you run it again.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks guys. Is there anywhere on the internet where I can pick up carb boots cheaper than what they are through a dealer? And also reeeds?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would a faulty Thermostat cause bogging mid range? I'm also thinking it could be the voltage regulator or the coils getting too hot. What does everyone think? Also, I am looking on a ski doo oem parts finder to look up carb boots and i cant find them. Since they aren't called "Carburetor Boots" what are they 'officially' called?

·
First In, Last Out
2,985 Posts
A thermostat controls the rate at which your coolant flows, not how your fuel flows. Are your carbs clean? Dirty carbs might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Sounds like ya need a bit of a tune-up AFTER you change boots, Raves cleaned, both clutches checked over & cleaned, Carbs cleaned & syncronized then go from there. One of these peticular things are causing you the Bog. But change out boot first or you'll have a lot more to worry about than a bog LOL.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since my last post I have taken the airbox off, carbs out, RAVES out and inspected the fuel pump. The two plastic check valve diaphrams inside the fuel pump look good, no cracks. The RAVES were pretty dirty so I will clean them. I need to do a search on how to. I am just getting to the carbs and will let everyone know. I also checked the reeds out and all looks good, no cracks. Finally, how do you test the ignition coils, stator and the MPEM module?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts