Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already ordered the studs, so I hope there isnt a problem. I plan on putting 96 1.25" studs with plastic backers down the middle on my 04 600 sdi. While doing a search, some have talked of clearance problems with a 1.25" stud. I plan on using the 1" tunnel protectors. According to all of the charts I have found, you want between 1/4 to 3/8 " of stud above the lugs. Isnt this what 1.25 is on a 1" track? Also so many have talked about only studding a rev down the middle, why is this?? I have always studded the whole track on my other sleds, with no trouble. Any info you could pass on would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not sure about the clearance problem. I put 144 1.175 studs down the middle and they give me plenty of hook up. This is on an 04 800 with 1 inch track

·
Registered
412 Posts
Clearance was only a problem on the 03' as far as I know. As for studding down the middle it makes the track last longer, less stress on it when you don't stud outside the windows!

·
Registered
246 Posts
studded my 04 with 144 1.25" down the middle. Get the taller protector. I didn't use ski-doo, I used bell protectors. Ski-doo 1" protectors offer only 3/4" protection and they look like they will let the studs hit. I went with the 1" bell protectors and have 200 miles on without a ding.

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
waxman said:
I already ordered the studs, so I hope there isnt a problem. I plan on putting 96 1.25" studs with plastic backers down the middle on my 04 600 sdi. While doing a search, some have talked of clearance problems with a 1.25" stud. I plan on using the 1" tunnel protectors. According to all of the charts I have found, you want between 1/4 to 3/8 " of stud above the lugs. Isnt this what 1.25 is on a 1" track? Also so many have talked about only studding a rev down the middle, why is this?? I have always studded the whole track on my other sleds, with no trouble. Any info you could pass on would be appreciated. Thanks.
[snapback]262421[/snapback]​
NO, that is not how it works. A 1.175" stud will give you around 3/8" above the track. A 1.25" stud will give you alot more than that. I am not sure how much. But probably more than is safe.

I can't explain the details, but I know it will probably be too much. If you look in the woodys or stud boy specs, they recommend 1.075" studs for 1" track

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, makes me feel a little better, what lengthis everyone else running in a 1" track?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I use 96- 1.075 . The amount of studs you use is entirely up to you. I personally think 96 is good for a 600, and 144 is the deal for an 800. The recommended height is 1.075 in the Woodys recommendation chart. Any taller and you may be asking for trouble.

·
Professional Rider - Do Not Attempt
932 Posts
I'd take Woody's suggestions as the gospel, but that's just my opinion.
1075's on a 1" track definately. 1175's probably won't hurt anything, but 1250's would concern me once they are seated tight they will stick higher above the lug than 1/4".

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
No, 1.25" is not the total length of the stud. It will be way longer, probably about 1 1/2". I'm not sure but I think they measure from the start of the threads up when labeling stud sizes. Go to woody's web site and plug your sled info in and it will give you the "length" or should I say size you need.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was able to stop the order, and I replaced the 1.25" studs with 1.15", hopes that works, the only size smaller is 1". THe brand of studs I am looking at does not have a 1.075 " sizes. Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts