Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99 ski doo formula 3 700 or 01 Yamaha sxr 700? I have to decide between these two sleds and need help. Both are available for $700. It would be a 3.5 hour drive for the 01 and a 2 hour drive for the 99

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Condition and miles will dictate that! Which one do YOU like? Both are quality if well cared for, but $700 sounds like they may have some patina..........All being equal, you take the ski doo of course ;)

·
2nd Whore in command
102,061 Posts
Buy both for those prices lol! Formula for fun fast trail rides and the Yamaha for ice fishing, problem solved. Well except for the fact that you have twice as much maintenance.
For the prices, depending on where your located i would maybe look at a 2 cylinder sled for ease of maintenance? Maybe look at the same year Skidoo MXZ, much lighter and nimbler sleds IMO.

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I was going to say Yamaha, but then you said ice fishing use. So I'd say neither. Find a 2 cylinder. The triples are a fun sled, but don't like low RPM.

·
Super Moderator
29,340 Posts
Depends where you be riding. The skidoo will soak up the bumps better but nothing beats the power of the yamaha!
The Yammi is the SXR, not the SRX. The 700 Doo would have more power.

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,287 Posts
You'll be happier with the F3 ,but ck for a vibration when running .I had one that ended up being the outer pto crank bearing .Drove me nuts till i took the hood off and could see the clutch moving under load .Felt like a bad drive shaft bearing .Good Luck

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I was going to say Yamaha, but then you said ice fishing use. So I'd say neither. Find a 2 cylinder. The triples are a fun sled, but don't like low RPM.
Exactly, if you're just going to be putting around and hauling ice fishing gear, find a utility sled, not a triple that wants to run

·
E-Tec Rules
33,540 Posts
Yamaha red head engine is bulletproof.

Skidoo triple is a time bombs.

Go Yamaha!
time bomb? Got 14k miles on one and never been a part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
I would recommend a utility sled.

·
Registered
6,085 Posts
Great sled.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I am a Doo fan through and through but I have to say with no hesitation the Yamaha SXR700 single pipe triple wins the reliability battle here. Not necessarily the right sled for this application but if forced to choose between these two I go Yamaha.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sold my Yamaha 700SXR with over 11,000 miles. Ran great. I have no experience with the Doo....

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'd buy the cleaner one but hands down that Yamaha should be more reliable given similar condition IMO. For example I've never seen a cracked intake boot on a Yamaha.

·
Registered
2019 MXZX 600r
110 Posts
I had 4 of the Yamaha 700 sx sleds and they were all excellent sleds. Put gas and oil in them pull the rope and ride. The only thing I would do to the Yamaha is replace the Yokohama track with a real track. They eat sliders like crazy with the Yokohama track plus just not that good of a track.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Diehard Doo guy with Polaris second choice, BUT in this case I think I would take the Yamaha if conditions are equal. Suspension may be a weak point on the Yam but for overall reliability, I think the Yamaha is a better bet. Sold my neighbour a 700 Venture several years ago and it has been problem free other than a broken rail last season and some normal idler wheel bearings.

While as said, neither is a utility sled, at the price range you are shopping in you can't be too choosey. You aren't going to find a Skandic or anything like that in that range, You won't likely even find a good Bravo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts