Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i just bought a 95 skidoo formula with a 99 rotax 670 h.o. right now its only running on one cylinder. i took the fuel line of from the pump to my "dead carb" because i can visibly see the fuel stuck not getting through. The fuel kept leaking out of the pump leading me to believe its not the pump. i tried blowing through the fuel line into the carb and i couldnt. i believe the needle is stuck. is there a way to find out if its a stuck needle or may i have a bigger problem on my hands? By the way Im new here to sleds so i dont want to tear into the carb right away unless i have to.

·
Mr Top Whore
103,022 Posts
Well if you are blowing into the fuel line going to the carb and cant, I think its time to take those carbs apart and give them a good cleaning. It isn't that difficult of a job. Once you take the bowls off the bottom of the carbs you will see the jets and floats, the jets will need to be taken out and cleaned making sure there is nothing blocking them. Do one carb at a time or at least mark them PTO side(clutch side) and MAG side(magneto side) because the main jetting is different in each carb.

Go down to the "vintage" section and at the top in the FAQ section there is a right up on how to clean your carbs which might be help full.

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
While you're checking out those carbs, look for a small in-line filter where the fuel line connects to the nipple that feeds the floatbowl. These can get plugged up which causes the symptoms you describe. If you see them, remove & throw away - they're not needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. Another question. before i tear the carbs off i was thinking of squirting a bit of fuel in through the air intake of the dead carb to see if it will fire over. Is that safe?

·
Mr Top Whore
103,022 Posts
You should be fine squirting some fuel into the carb, don't use too much though! Have you done a compression test on this motor?

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
Thanks for the help. Another question. before i tear the carbs off i was thinking of squirting a bit of fuel in through the air intake of the dead carb to see if it will fire over. Is that safe?
You will get better results by putting a little gas in the Spark plug hole ! if the engine is low on compression it don't like to suck fuel to the top of the cylinder,a squirt of fuel into the plug hole will get a engine with

low compression going some times!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Agree with Ditchbangr. sounds like u have a clogger up carb. i am also new to this site but i know lots about these carbs. I was also lil nervous when got into cleaning/fixing my own carbs aswell but its normal to have to clean these every couple seasons so u dont run into these issues as often. They are quite simple as Ditchbangr stated. just get some carb n choke cleaner and pull of that carb an takeoff that floatbowl. and try to spray cleaner thru all jets and holes make sure it comes thru the carb. just watch your eyes bcuz 1st time the spray comes out in spots u mite not be ready for. not good feeling in eyes lol. proly have a stuck needle/seat.. they very easy to take off and clean up and put back together. once bowl is off i use a small spring loaded lil punch to pop out the small pin that hols the needle seat an lil valve/pin in place. one of mine when i removed the pin i mentioned an there should be a lil brass plate that moves up an down as the bowl fills and emptys. u will see what im saying. theres a little silver colored pin/needle that usually has a rubber tiny tip on it. if it dont come out when remove that brass plate it dirty an stuck up inside there. just remove it and clean all that up may need new needle if that the prob, but like they said also use lil screwdriver and remove the lil jets up inside small holes and clean those up to. then put back together an see what happens. sounds complicated but once u do it u can clean a carb in half hour or less if not faster. goodluck:). just trying to help explain in detail. also theres lil tiny hard plastic tips that hold on your float make sure them dont fall off. they tiny and just hold the float on each side. my first carb one came off and luckily i saw it and put back on. sounds like needs simple carb clean. hope any info helps ya! im in need of oil pump help also rite now on my 96 f3 600. never messed with oil pump and made a post so hope someone explains in detail to me on how to remove this. im pulling whole motor to get crank rebuilt and middle rod, jug, an piston. got lots to do! but be worth it. amazing sleds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts