Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Mr Top Whore
103,068 Posts
Yes! You will need all the 99 electronics though, wiring connections will be different plug ends , but it can be done easil with some basis tools.
All ZX(99-04) chassis are pretty similar for the most part

Very easy sleds to work on!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so I wont have the electronics with the engine. I should be able to compare wire diagrams and swap plugs where needed or will the mpem be completely different as far as timing etc .

and thank you for answering. appreciate it. im doing a job for a customers dad and he really loves the legend sled and im trying to help him out and do it on the cheap for his dad as a surprise.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I'm fairly sure you won't have a spot to mount the 2nd ignition pick-up on the 99 engine so RER won't work. Maybe the casting bosses are there on the 99 engine stator housing for the 2nd pick-up but I'd be surprised if they were tapped. But transfer over the 02's stator, flywheel, and main ignition pick-up.

Also you'll want to transfer over the reeds/boots from the 02 engine as the rack carbs use a different sized carb spigot than the round slides the 99 had.

The 99/2000 motors also had a metal recoil housing that is held on with a band clamp, the 01-03 used a plastic recoil held on with torx screws.
Other than that, its a bolt in affair.

·
On Thin Ice with Steve
36,066 Posts
I put a 99 600 into a rev chassis and was able to put the rer pick on just fine. If I remember right you have to do a little grinding with a dremel to get it to fit though. I put an 01 800 into a rev also and it was the same deal a little grinding...

Sent from my iPhone three days ago

·
Registered
13,551 Posts
If you are going to use the 2002 electronics you are going to need to get both pickup coils on there some way, some how. The ECM needs to see pulses from both pickups and in the correct sequence to give spark.

·
On Thin Ice with Steve
36,066 Posts
There is a spot for both pick ups the reverse one may need to be modified slightly to fit.

Sent from my iPhone three days ago

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you everyone for your input on this. im more of a jet ski guy (sea doo) but also do sleds too but not as much. with everyones help this swap seems very doo able....lol...

thanks again for all your time and replies and im sure I will have more questions

·
Registered
234 Posts
have you completed the swap yet? how did it go? Looking to put an '01 500 motor in an '03 700 spot and just wondering what you ran into for issues.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have not completed swap yet. Ran into a bad piston on the engine i just bought and waiting on parts but aside from what was mentioned above everything seems to be plug and play.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts