Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello All, and I hate to be the Newbie who asks the question that's been answered 100 times, but damned if I can find it here on the forum. Did searches with different wordings and only came up with one (short) discussion that advised checking a fuse.

Purchased a 1999 Grand Touring SE 800 Triple for short money. Engine has just been gone through and runs great.
The air suspension however, is acting strangely. I don't know if it's working, but:

*Needle guage on dash usually shows "Touring"(absolute bottom of the scale), but sometimes shows "Sport" (absolute top).
*Switch has no effect on needle, but when it's on "Touring" pushing the switch towards "Sport" illuminates the spring icon on the dash.
(Once, the needle seemed to try to climb about 1/4 way up the gauge, but gave up.)
* I did hear the compressor running as I turned the machine off.

I've had bad luck with air suspensions - once had a Lincoln Continental that looked like a hooptie with its dead rear air-bag suspension. On a 21-year-old sled I'm guessing any rubber connections for air hoses have long since dried out and given up. Same goes for buying a used replacement shock and compressor - $200+ and you still have the potential of an old dried-out unit.
I'd just as soon buy a replacement rear shock (non-Air; any suggestions are welcome), but would like to get this working if possible.

I found the shop manual for this machine, and read it cover to cover (318 pages), and there is very little about the air suspension, and zero about troubleshooting the components.

Can someone direct me to discussions about this air suspension unit, and perhaps a troubleshooting procedure?

Thanks, and Think Snow!

Lonnie in Maine

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2009 GTX and my friend has a 2013 GTX both with air suspensions. My compressor failed so I had to replace it and the used replacement works fine. In order to trouble shoot it I just kept taking lines off until I finally figured out the compressor was weak and not putting out the air pressure required. In the case of my find he started at the shock and worked his way back. It didn't take him long to find the air line fitting at the shock was damaged. BRP wanted over $30 for a new fitting. He's a good farmer so he went to farm equipment store and bought the same fitting for $2

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Lonnie check to see if the wiring is good between the pressure sender and the gauge. If it has good continuity, do a resistance test on the sender it self(18# in the ski doo parts diagram). Low pressure should be around 48 ohms and 180 ish ohms high pressure. If it reads ol its bad. Hope this helps you

Tyler

1 - 4 of 4 Posts