Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends 99 Formula Z 500 dies after a half a mile of riding, carbs have been cleaned, raves are ok. It does have spark and even if we prime the hell out of it still no start. After 15 minutes it will start and run again until it gets hot. Any ideas, it appears to be running a little hotter then usual but I'm not sure if it is related. We are going to check the quality of the spark when it runs and compare it to the spark when it dies. Plugs appear very dry but the primer on this type engine bypasses the carb and shoots it right into the carb boots. This started last weekend and since this sled was new has never had a problem. Any ideas

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check the crank seals.

It sounds like gas is not making it to the cylinders, usually caused by worn / popped crank seals. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
312 Posts
a quick check for crank seals is to start the engine and spray either
around the seals if the rpm picks up your seal is leaking

·
Registered
15 Posts
blackmxz said:
ttt
[snapback]316244[/snapback]​
Make sure the gas tank vent line is not blocked. Next time it dies try loosening the gas cap and see if you hear a "WHOOSH" of air rushing into the tank.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we went back the the lake again this weekend with another friend, his sled is a 99 Formula Z 583, the same thing happened to his sled that happened to my other friends 99 500. This is a long lake and both sleds just died after running about 5 miles at 60 mph. They will restart after a while. The 99 only has 1500 miles on it and it ran great all weekend until we got to the lake. I am convinced that it is fuel related, plugs look dry on both sleds. Also when we went to prime the 583 the line was empty. Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts