Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ending up with a 98 MXZ and an 03 MXZ Rev on a package deal.

Which would you keep to long track to 136 or 144?

To be used as a back-up, crossover trail/off-trail sled SW Colorado

Todd.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First Doo's I will have owned., been a Poo guy (I know... don't hate!)

Why the Rev? What will it take to long track it?

Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
keep in mind on the 03 the lug height is limited to 1.75". Some guys have put 2" tracks in but get occasional rubbing. The OP did mention some off trail use and he is in Colorado. With some extra work you can go bigger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
keep in mind on the 03 the lug height is limited to 1.75". Some guys have put 2" tracks in but get occasional rubbing. The OP did mention some off trail use and he is in Colorado. With some extra work you can go bigger.
I think a 1.5 or 1.75 lug will be more than enough for the intent of this sled.

A tunnel ext is needed for either, is one easier to mod than the other?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Being a Poo guy, do you know what the Beaver Tail is on the 03? Does yours have the BT or has it been deleted already?

Reactions: doodog

·
Registered
523 Posts
I would go with the REV as well , easier to ride and the seating position is so ooooooo much better than the traditional design sleds . Not to mention the front and rear suspension will be MUCH better . But CVCOBRA1 does make a good point on the beaver tail delete.

·
Registered
13,545 Posts
Not sure how much you like spinning wrenches, but another option for you is to pick up a Renegade or Summit chassis and build it up using the '03 rev parts. You would need the newer chaincase and correct rear skid for the chassis, but it would be a much better sled than an extended '03 IMO. Our '03 600ho had a bent bulkhead so I rebuilt it using an '05 800x frame. Got rid of all the '03 issues like short cooler, short chaincase and beaver tail.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
agreed with the rev if you are prepared to do some work...my 03 has a longer renegade cooler installed and tunnel extension,rail extension and a 136x1 3/4 track...I also decided to put the narrow summit front end in it...lots of fun...putting a longer skid in,or extensions on 98 and tunnel extension would be easier,but nowhere near the ride...just my 3cents...Hardy

·
Mod Smut
4,825 Posts
Not sure how much you like spinning wrenches, but another option for you is to pick up a Renegade or Summit chassis and build it up using the '03 rev parts. You would need the newer chaincase and correct rear skid for the chassis, but it would be a much better sled than an extended '03 IMO. Our '03 600ho had a bent bulkhead so I rebuilt it using an '05 800x frame. Got rid of all the '03 issues like short cooler, short chaincase and beaver tail.
I agree with this. Just did it this past offseason. 05 MXZ 600 to an 06 Summit 151.

Also a proper summit suspension will help tremendously vs just extending your rails

Just be prepared to want to bust out the wallet for new "cool" things like tube boards, etc :laugh_old:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Have you thought of possibly selling the two separately to make a little more money then you paid, and then buy the sled that truly suits you best. Would save a lot of headaches!

·
Registered
16 Posts
UNfortunately, to try to sell either of the Doo's isn't going to do well around here, both being shortys (121s). I figured I'd be better off trying to extend the Rev (that has been the decision).

Found a set of SC10 136" rails. I'd assume that my existing 121 components would just swap.

From what I've read, a 1.5 or possibly even a 1.75 track will fit without changing the drivers.

Did the Rev chassis ever come in a 2up or touring. If so, I'd prolly try to come up with a set of springs from that. Possibly fab a detachable seat for the Honey to ride along.

This is not intended to be a mountain sled, more a cross-over type (trail / light off-trail). I think a 136 vs 144 would be enough.

Anybody got a skid in the Four Corners area? :O)

·
Mod Smut
4,825 Posts
UNfortunately, to try to sell either of the Doo's isn't going to do well around here, both being shortys (121s). I figured I'd be better off trying to extend the Rev (that has been the decision).

Found a set of SC10 136" rails. I'd assume that my existing 121 components would just swap.

From what I've read, a 1.5 or possibly even a 1.75 track will fit without changing the drivers.

Did the Rev chassis ever come in a 2up or touring. If so, I'd prolly try to come up with a set of springs from that. Possibly fab a detachable seat for the Honey to ride along.

This is not intended to be a mountain sled, more a cross-over type (trail / light off-trail). I think a 136 vs 144 would be enough.

Anybody got a skid in the Four Corners area? :eek:)
Rev did have a 2up option.

I vote for 144x1.75 track over a 136. It'd be a better overall crossover sled that way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts