Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a new to me 1998 summit 583 Has a mbrp exhaust and runs great, problem is the high/low beam head lights, taillight and brake light don’t work. Everything on the dash works (dash lights gauges idiot lights etc) I’m getting this thing ready for winter and need to fix this, any ideas?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Are they blown?

If so, you might check your regulator. The dash lights are pretty robust and can take over voltage, but taillight, brakelight and headlights will blow.

Taillight is wired separately from the headlight, so not a chance of a common cable having an issue as it would most likely effect all the lights. The most common issue is bad regulator taking out tail and head lights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had my buddy check voltage at the lights with his multimeter, said it was 17 volts. I’m not good with wiring but I’m pretty sure that’s too high, voltage regulator maybe?

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
It is pretty high, yes. More importantly, did it fluctuate at all?

Either bad regulator or a bad ground for the regulator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a new set of bulbs in it and the lights came on, gave it a rev and lost the headlight high/low but the tail light and brake light still works, I’m pretty convinced it’s a bad regulator. Thanks for the replies

1 - 8 of 8 Posts