Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 MXZ 500 that is running through fuel like water going over Niagara Falls, we were getting about 4 miles to the gallon then I replaced the needle and seats in both carbs then it went up to 6 MPG. Very doggy still and it tries to free up and run snappy but seems like it is still getting to much fuel. I have new jets in both carbs, I know that there is a air/fuel mixture setting but not sure where and how many turns, and if that would help

Any help form the carb gods on this site will be grealty appreciated.

Thanks

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
I have a 98 MXZ 500 that is running through fuel like water going over Niagara Falls, we were getting about 4 miles to the gallon then I replaced the needle and seats in both carbs then it went up to 6 MPG. Very doggy still and it tries to free up and run snappy but seems like it is still getting to much fuel. I have new jets in both carbs, I know that there is a air/fuel mixture setting but not sure where and how many turns, and if that would help

Any help form the carb gods on this site will be grealty appreciated.

Thanks
It sounds like your needle and seats are sticking open! You may clear them by removing the carb and blowing air through them but they will most likely need to be replaced!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the needle and seats in both carbs then it went up to 6 MPG.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bump...

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
Are the floats set right?
Are the jets the right size?
Is the main jet needle worn past its limit?
Are they the carbs that came on the engine? Or some that were just swapped out?
Need more info.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Float setting.... If the floats are high, you're flooding and floats low your running out of fuel under hard loads. I would buy a manual specific to your sled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts