Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Hey guys, hoping to borrow some of your vast knowledge.

Went up north monday & tuesday to lake vermillion (northern MN), and got some riding time in, but of course not without issues.

Came out to start sled this morning (3 degrees), and the dang thing didn't want to start for nothing. I have electric start (non rer) but the cold took care of the batterie's effectiveness. So my buddy and I took turns pulling over 50 times with no luck. Pulled plugs and they were dry, so we shot some gas down there, and the thing popped right away. So once I got the sled going for a while, the battery heated up and worked the rest of the day. However, whenever I stop the sled, and go to restart it, I have to crank it over for at least 10 seconds usually if I let it sit more than a couple minutes. The sled should be warm, and should pop over without issues... Keyword SHOULD. Any ideas other than a primer?

On top of that, the sled has a hug bog at bottom end. If the rpms are under 300, no matter what I do, the rpms will bog their way up to 400 and then crack.

Which leads me to my biggest issue. The sled does not want to climb over 7000 rpm's. Over the course of the day, I only hit 8,000 rpms (8,100) to be pretty close) 3 times. The rest of the day, the sled would climb to 7500, and then immediately slide back down to 7000 rpms. At 7K, I'm only doing about 72 or so, and hitting 8100, I managed a top speed of 95.6 mph on the gps.

Any and all help is appreciated. My mods are in my sig.
Conditions:
*Weather 5-20 degrees throughout the day.
*Riding on lake, deepest snow was about 6", but 90% of riding was on either ice or 1-2" of hardpack snow.
*Runs were approx. 1000 ft., some less, some more depending on rpm's reached.
*Clickers were set on 2, but we changed to 3.
*Jets are 330-340-330 as per Donny w/ the h/o coils, pilots are 45
*New Belt
*Stock Exhaust
*Sled had 530 miles on it before this trip, now about 600 or so.
*Clutch is stock
*Electric Start, Reverse (non rer)
*I'm 6', 210 lbs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
compression test first to verify top end condition. how many miles since you installed the carbon tech reeds? i would check those next. remove the cages and hold them up to the light. if you can see daylight thru the edge where the petal seals on the cage or if the petals are frayed they are toast. do not flip them over, they will break off very quickly. carbon reeds genrally have a short lifespan. next check the rave valves for free movement. i clean mine every year. as for the lack of top end speed, i would disassemble the clutches and clean them and look for broken/worn parts. the buttons in the secondary wear as well as the rollers in the primary. also, broken or sacked out springs hinder performance. best of luck, and report back with findings. make sure belt is fresh and adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply haywire. Was planning on checking reeds, rave, carbs tommorrow, but will dive into the others as well. Reeds have 200 miles on them. Just bought the sled this summer, and cleaned/checked rave, carbs, reeds, belt. Only had the sled out twice so far, as this is my first sled/year riding. (I know, bad sled to start off with, but too good of a deal... so here I am!)

·
Registered
648 Posts
Intensert, I think all 98 Machs started hard when cold. I finally resorted to a very quick shot of starting fluid and mine would fire first or second pull. Many will tell you you cant use starting fluid on a 2 stroke but keep it to a minimum and you'll be fine, and save your back and arms from pulling. Doo2

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was pretty careful when putting the air box back on and checked for pinching but didn't see any. Never took the air box off, so don't think that was an issue, but I'll poke around and see.

I used starting fluid when I first got the sled to start it as the jets were f'd up, and it worked well,except the sled would die when the fluid would run out. Should work great now I suppose. Good idea.

Anybody ever put a primer on these? Would think this would help immensely, especially on cold days.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spent some time under the hood today and here are the findings:

*Compression is 145-150 on all 3 cyclinders.
*Awesome Spark from all 3 plugs.
*Slight gap in one of the reed cages. My buddy has these in both of his cages and it doesn't seem to affect his sled. ('02 MXZ Adren 700)
*RAVE's are good, one was just slightly sticky, but moved on it's own will.
*Tore apart secondary and found a bunch of caked on rubber from coolant hoses on and in secondary & helix(one from before I bought sled, one that may or may not have been my fault...
) Cleaned them up nice and good, and put on some gear lube and slapped her back together. Much smoother.
*Also noticed on secondary that the belt seemed to have wore some of the metal off of secondary at base of secondary(from WFO). Anybody else seen this happen? The gouges aren't huge, but definitely noticable.
*Bought primer, will install tommorrow. Those who have put a primer on these, where did you tap fuel from? I was planning on tapping just after shut-off valve. Anybody else have better place? The hose is HUGE, and having difficulties finding big enough "T".

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Installed primer yesteday, and starts WAY better now. I'd prefer that it start great w/o the primer, but I guess if that's what it takes. Cheap insurance.

Plan on going to the lake on Tuesday to see if cleaning secondary took care of the top end issues. If that doesn't do it, then I guess I'll be diving into the primary, and replacing springs... OR just getting a clutch kit as long as I'm digging in that far. If that doesn't work... then I guess I'll have to investigate further. Maybe a stator?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.