Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
brakecaliper.jpg

had the brakes lock up a while ago, just getting around to working on them and would appreciate some input. pulled the caliper apart and cleaned it flushed the master cylinder(rusty old fluid which probably caused the whole mess) and pushed new fluid thru.

when i put the caliper back on this is what it looks like. it was a little tight getting it off, i guess this is why.

with the caliper off there is a bit of free movement toward the gear box but not toward the clutch side.

is it the rotor that warped or the shaft? the rotor has actually ground out a notch in the caliper.

the clutches appear straight and aligned.

plan on rebuilding the master cylinder and re-cleaning the caliper.

do i need a new rotor? new caliper?

thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Normally brake issues are related to a plugged return hole in the master

Sent from my HTC One S

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yeah, make sure you have cleaned the really tiny hole in master cylinder. Allot of people don't pay attention to that one.

What you are showing on the rotor and caliper makes me wonder if the piston(s) on one side of the caliper were frozen and didn't apply pressure to the rotor evenly, pushing it to one side.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if the rotor won't center between the pads is the rotor warped?

yes the return hole was rusted shut!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
When a rotor is warped it will shudder when the brakes are applied. If you don't feel anything like that the rotor itself is likely ok. The rotor should also float on the shaft a bit to self center. Are you certain the caliper you have on the sled is the correct one? Maybe a previous owner swapped it? Just thinking out loud here...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
My 99 had 1 piston freeze up and retract as the other one pushed all the way out. It shifted the rotor over and ground down the centering groove on one side. I threw on an eBay caliper and it's been fine. I don't know if piston seals are available or not or if it's worth trying to rebuild it for a spare or not. I know one half is good not sure if anybody has ever mixed and matched caliper halves before to make a good one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, sounds like it would be easiest to try a different caliper then a rotor if needed.

it's a one owner sled and as far as i know it's the original caliper

i'll try to post back after parts arrive and time allows for repairs

thanks!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Often times, simply removing the pistons and cleaning it all up will do the trick. Either way, you'll see what they look like inside. If the orings are still good you'd likely be in business for free.

Old motor cycle calipers have rebuild kits but I have yet to come across one for old sleds.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Has anyone pulled one of these apart recently? Are they square o-rings like a hydraulic ram or just round o-rings that are resistant to brake fluid?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the seals are circular but flat not round like an o-ring

unless these are worn out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well after getting a different caliper it would not go on due to the rotor being bent to the right

put a different rotor on and the caliper goes on easily

now get to redo the rotor because it doesn't fit right

yay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts