Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

98 Formula 3 700R Idles fine but bogs when given throttle

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Formula boys 
#1 ·
Hello! Im new to this forum and thought id get the most help here if anywhere. so i have a 98 formula 3 700R and i cannot get this thing to run right. I can start it up and it will idle fine as far as i can tell. But as soon as I give any sorta throttle to it, it bogs right down. it wont die it just bogs until i let off the throttle. i ran a compression test and was shootin 120 across all 3 cylinders so compression is ruled out. i took apart and cleaned all 3 rave valves and installed new gaskets so rules those out. my carb boots arent in the best condition but theyarent bad enough to be causing a problem like this. i cleaned all 3 carbs took out the pilot and main jets to make sure they were the right size and they are. the floats in the carbs all seemed fine as well. ive checked the reeds in 1 of the cylinders just to get a rough idea of what the other ones looked like and the set i took out were in immaculate condition. ive checked for spark in all 3 cylinders and i have plenty of it. im starting to suspect some kind of electrical issue maybe with timing or the mpem and dess system but im stumped! so any ideas at all would be very appreciative as im willing to try anything! thanks for looking guys!

,Brady

#4 ·
No I don't believe so because when I choke it out I can get it to rev up to 5 or 6 but its pretty choppy. I'm gonna take it to the dealer and see if the mpem matches the dess cap just to be certain but I think that might be it. I think it has an mpem box off a mach 800 but its the same 290w system hookups and virtually the same specs. I hope somethin works so I can ride before this snow melts!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.