Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering buying a 1997 Grand Touring SE 700 for $800 (CAD), everything looks to be in decent shape except for two things:

1) Small amount of oil leaking from 2 of 3 cylinders in the area shown in the photo below. If oil can leak there, then I guess that means it has an exhaust leak too? Main concern is whether there is something wrong with the engine... i'm not used to dealing with 2-strokes...

2Oe1BNf.jpg

2) Fuel gauge doesn't work.

Thanks in advance for any help...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Most likely exhaust gasket leak.My fuel guage doesnt work perfect either. Check the connections. Float in tank could be stuck. I have the same sled. Has been pretty reliable. My air ride doea not work. Also check all fuses. Has about 4 of them on brake side under hood.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Oil right there is pretty common. We can't tell for sure where it's coming from based on that photo. Looks like you are pointing to the exhaust connection. Could be blow by from the exhaust or dripping down from the RAVEs. Either way, easy to fix. If you bring it home, clean it up and run it til you find exactly where it's coming from.

Gas gauge is common as well. Check the simple things first but often it is the sender inside the tank. Do a search and you'll find lots of reading on that. Pretty easy solder job on the sender will fix it right up.

Also, your SE is a triple. You may wish to post in the triple forum but you'll get help either way. Welcome.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/forum/45-mach-z-mach-1-formula-iii-triples/

Oh yeah, PM me your email if you need a manual. I'll shoot it out to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most likely exhaust gasket leak.My fuel guage doesnt work perfect either. Check the connections. Float in tank could be stuck. I have the same sled. Has been pretty reliable. My air ride doea not work. Also check all fuses. Has about 4 of them on brake side under hood.
Thanks, I'll check this out. The air ride works on this one, but minor things I'll have to work on. The rear heated grips don't work, the seat is duct taped in a few spots, the track will need to be replaced next year probably...etc.

It could be leaking from the base gasket as well but for 100 dollars in gaskets and a little patience you should be fine!
Great if it's just minor. I've got lots of patience but little experience, I like figuring stuff like this out though...

Oil right there is pretty common. We can't tell for sure where it's coming from based on that photo. Looks like you are pointing to the exhaust connection. Could be blow by from the exhaust or dripping down from the RAVEs. Either way, easy to fix. If you bring it home, clean it up and run it til you find exactly where it's coming from.

Gas gauge is common as well. Check the simple things first but often it is the sender inside the tank. Do a search and you'll find lots of reading on that. Pretty easy solder job on the sender will fix it right up.

Also, your SE is a triple. You may wish to post in the triple forum but you'll get help either way. Welcome.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/forum/45-mach-z-mach-1-formula-iii-triples/

Oh yeah, PM me your email if you need a manual. I'll shoot it out to you.
Thanks, I think I will pick up this weekend... I hope parts are not getting too hard to find for these older sleds. It did look like a bit of oil was coming out of the RAVE valve above and also at the exhaust connection.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
RAVEs usually just require a good cleaning and new orings. Cheap and easy and many guys do them every year.

Exhaust leaks at the connections are also cheap and easy. Pull them apart; clean; reconnect with the high temp copper RTV.

On 2 strokes, the oil that is mixed with the gas does not all burn up during combustion so it's pushed into the pipes and burned up in the pipes when they get hot enough. (They don't get hot enough with a 5 minute warm up so the oil collects inside eventually leaking out the can if short warm ups are all you do.) If pipes are not properly sealed at the motor they will blow oil. Normal. Not a big deal (but should be addressed). Makes a mess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts