Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done installing a brand new reverse kit in my '97 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583. Forward works flawlessly, however when I put into reverse and give it throttle it starts to move very slowly and as the clutch engages, it makes a terrible high-pitched grinding sound! Metal flakes in bottom of chaincase too after. I tightened my chain as tight as I could by hand and it said to back off only as far as to get pin in, i was able to get pin in but I think it's too tight. Took pin out and backed it off a half turn, pin whet in much easier then without hitting the case bolt. I also read belt deflection being off could cause the same problem. Really bummed as I thought it would work great....what could be wrong??? I think its gotta be linkage adjustment, it was shortened to about only 2-3 threads showing between nut and end of threaded part on joint. Lengthened probably about 1/4 to 3/8ths from orig spot. New sprockets and chain too, please help thanks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you have spacer on the top sprocket in place and the bottom gear turned to the correct side.
Definitely installed original spacer from non-reverse case behind upper sprocket. Cross-referenced the part# of the non-reverse case spacer with the reverse one and they match exactly. Is the a difference as the how the bottom gear installs? Like does it matter which side faces outward like the side with the numbers on the gear or something? The gear looked symmetrical to me. I know the reverse gears (19t) are installed correctly. Cause you have the large 44t on the inside of the assy then the narrower one which the reverse fork goes onto on the outside of the assy facing towards outside of chaincase.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I lengthened linkage about 3/16 of an inch. Definitely helped. Did not get a high-pitched zzzZZZZZzzzz this time. However, when on the stand I could still hear a slight grinding sound but much deeper this time. Could it just be the transmission and the reverse gears meshing together? Put it on ground and moved about a foot forward and back and couldn't really hear the grinding as hear on the stand. Anything to worry about? Normal?? I try it out for a longer distance tomorrow but any input would be great, thanks!

Tyler

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, definitely installed the chain slider, that roughly 3" piece of flatstock. Like I said, I adjusted it and it helped a lot but could still hear a slight low-pitched grind. Is it normal? Should I try adjusting a half turn at a time to lengthen? If I remember, I had it lengthened farther but it would bind when sled was running and wouldn't go into gear so I shortened it a half turn and it fixed that part of it.

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Yes, definitely installed the chain slider, that roughly 3" piece of flatstock. Like I said, I adjusted it and it helped a lot but could still hear a slight low-pitched grind. Is it normal? Should I try adjusting a half turn at a time to lengthen? If I remember, I had it lengthened farther but it would bind when sled was running and wouldn't go into gear so I shortened it a half turn and it fixed that part of it.
Do you mean a low pitched grind in reverse?
It could be the back of the chain running on that slider when in reverse.
Those 2 little gears by the slider do all the work when in reverse.
Do you have the installation instuctions?
If not, I have them somewhere, I could look for them if you want.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you mean a low pitched grind in reverse?
It could be the back of the chain running on that slider when in reverse.
Those 2 little gears by the slider do all the work when in reverse.
Do you have the installation instuctions?
If not, I have them somewhere, I could look for them if you want.
Yeah only a low pitched grind in reverse. I did find a shop manual online which I greatly used during installation so I know every single piece is in where it should be and torqued to the proper specs. Before in reverse it was a high-pitched zzzZZZzzz grind now its just a low-pitched grind, and it makes sense about chain hitting the slider. That's normal then? So I should be good to go, or should I adjust some more? Just don't want to be destroying anything in there, ya know?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm all set...thanks for the help! Did one final adjustment and took the sled out to wash it and didn't make any noises or grinding on the ground. Worked great! Best mod I've ever done, thanks again for all of the help!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking around now in the manuals online and came across the reverse kit manual. I installed the chain slider with the wrong side against the case. Is it that big of a deal to tear it all apart again? Reverse seems to work fine...

http://chadt.us/snowmobilemanuals/s1997/1997/MSI/MSI9703A.PDF
scroll down to page four and you'll see what I mean. I installed it reverse of that pic. So right now, the long completely flat side in against chaincase. Guess it should be the other way around?

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
I'm looking around now in the manuals online and came across the reverse kit manual. I installed the chain slider with the wrong side against the case. Is it that big of a deal to tear it all apart again? Reverse seems to work fine...

http://chadt.us/snowmobilemanuals/s1997/1997/MSI/MSI9703A.PDF
scroll down to page four and you'll see what I mean. I installed it reverse of that pic. So right now, the long completely flat side in against chaincase. Guess it should be the other way around?
It's an important part. You should install it correctly.
My .02

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know now I probably should but would it really hurt anything to leave the slider how it is? At least its there, it's just that the chain is running on the wrong side of it. Better than not having one at all...just very busy with work the next month or so and just finished up the sled, don't want to tear into everything again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up tearing case apart tonight and flipping the chain slider around to how it is supposed to be....sure glad I took the time to do it! Better than having the chain fly through the case on the trail!

·
Registered
7,506 Posts
Ended up tearing case apart tonight and flipping the chain slider around to how it is supposed to be....sure glad I took the time to do it! Better than having the chain fly through the case on the trail!
It was the right thing to do

And all it cost was a bottle of chain lube.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was the right thing to do

And all it cost was a bottle of chain lube.
Yup, even better I had originally got a quart of lube before, so I had extra to re-fill. Also, I greased the tie-rod ends tonight with muscle grease by Castle. Then got my grease gun and pumped about 5 times or so into the speedo/drive shaft zerk below secondary....was that too much? What will happen if I put too much in? Usually the handle is harder to pull when you have enough in there, didn't feel any difference that time. Just want to make sure I didn't overfill it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts