Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Looks like the coolant needs to be changed in my sons 97 Formula 500 he just picked up, it has a milky film on it. Is that film just from use and higher mileage or ?? What is the best way to drain and flush and burp the system? I know we will have to raise the front end to burp out the air. Any special coolant or just regular car antifreeze? A new cap may be in order as well.

Attachments

• 47.2 KB Views: 1
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    35.7 KB Views: 0

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Milky oil is usually caused by oil have gotten into the cooling system. I don't know of any way this could happen on a sled though.Possibly a cylinder to base gasket but unlikely. Usually the coolant level would be low. My suspicion would be someone inadvertently put oil into the coolant bottle instead of the injection oil tank.

I would remove the tank and drain it, rinse it out with hot water and a detergent like Simple Green, Pine-Sol or whatever you have handy.

You could leave the lower hose off the engine and pour detergent and hot water into the hose at the top of the engine to help rinse the system out as much as possible. It will be messy but well worth the time it takes to clean it up when you are done.

The antifreeze is standard automotive Etholyn Glycol green antifreeze. Mix the antifreeze with water 50/50. Will be good for -34 degrees.

There should be a plug on the top of thermostat housing you can remove while you are refilling the system. This will let air escape while the system is filling up.

The cap should be replaced if the rubber seal looks swelled from the oil or is hard and cracked.

Lynn

·
Registered
514 Posts
Id drain as much as possible, fill it with water and run it till the T stat opens, drain again, refill and repeat till it runs clear, put in some cleaner (automotive style should suffice) run it taking care not to overheat it. drain rinse, refill repeat till it runs clear.

get premixed 50/50 green glycol as per post above, new stat, burp it. Monitor the level.

One summer I was running a sled and didn't want to overheat it. I was breaking in a rebuild. I sat my garden hose sprinkler on top of the track, ran the motor off and on for a few hours at a time like that. Stayed nice and cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts