Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just purchased a 96 mach z 780,,as it turns out i got hosed,,the pto side cylinder was badly scored,,i now have a new cylinder on order, the "gentleman" who owned the machine before me assured me that he had the engine rebuilt by "someone who knew what they where doing" its pretty obvious that new rings were put in the cylinder after it was scored,and the piston is chewed up a bit ,,anyway,,i thought i had better check the carbs because the machine is terribly hard on fuel, and there was evidence that they were taken off teh machine ,,so after seeing the work on the engine i thought i had better check the carbs,i have a manual,,but it seems unclear on a few points,,it lists a mikuni tm38 152 as the one for my machine,but only shows a diagram of a tm38 133, all tm38 152 jet sizes and location given seem to corraspond to what i have,but the float level adjustment seems off,,the manual says not turn the carb upside down and measure the float height when it just touches the needle valve ,the thing is,in the diagram of the tm38 133 no "retainer clip" is shown,,which my carb has,,this clip holds the needle valve to the float arm as it moves up and down so i dont see how they can say "when it just touches it" the spec is 20mm,,but it seems to be at roughly 26mm with the carb right side up, if i check it with the carb upside down it is 20mm,,i wonder if someone hasnt screwed this up as well?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts