Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if I can do a few mods to my real nice 96 SLS. Want it as reliable as it is stock or close. Bcuz its very reliable an just over 3,000 miles. Thinking what would b best pipes,can, or other things? Finally got her unflooded and running great. Thx guys! U saved my butt. Jus wondered about safely modding whatever I can. Its already darn fast fr a 500. Just would like to safely get Lil more out of it. Thx.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Any mod will make reliability go down.

Newer sleds are often "crippled" to meet or beat EPA issues, but older sleds were built around reliability being #1. You might get 5-8 HP more out of it, but you'll have more problems with it as well.

Pipes make it louder and I've yet to be convinced it does anything for HP.

The best mods you can make are going to be in the suspension. Updating and putting better shocks on. If you have the original steel skis, going with plastic.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx not risking reliability as it gets up and goes good enuff already thx sir! figured as much lol. jus wantd to make sure.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
Theres a few things you could do, new plastic skis, newer rear suspension, rebuildable shocks, riser bars depending on your height just to name a few.

Some guys like doing the Rev seat conversion, it adds height to the seat and most say its a way better riding sled and better for longer trail riding and overall better seating position.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya plastic skis would b nice! gona have to look into some tyhat arent crazy expensive. any in mind? and what are suspension options for the rear? like a totally dif 1? or just a new one thats the same i got. the rear shock could prolly use a change. fronts seem good. this is a nice 96 an wanna take good care of it to keep it nice. i have a set of riser bars i think anyway. when i got the 580cc polaris triple real cheap the guy gave me a set of skis, cogs i think, and a set of way dif handle bars they look more like bike handlebars or something lol. thx guys:)

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya theres a sno salvage up in mt pleasant i usually go to could try there for some stuff. thx fr the tips guys!. mainly could use plastic skis and rear suspension possibly. most on sled seems to b good shape. but thx fr the links Grover! and all else. just dunno what i can do to maybe gain some spped but keep it reliable. its worth it. nice sled for the yr by far.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
Almost any of the Skidoo skis from the Flex skis and Precision dual carbide from the 99-03 ZX chassis will fit no problem and even the newer skis from the Revs will too, with a little bit of mods or adding spacers to the ski bridge. Most people try and put the SC10 III rear suspension out of the ZX chassis in the S chassis sleds, the ride is way better......more travel anyway.

Use the search function and type in S chassis mods or S chassis pics or similar and you should find a lot of old threads on this stuff and pics too look at to get more ideas on what you like and what you want to do........if anything, if you want it stock looking?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it handles pretty good stock it seems to me. but im also used to how my old formula 3 600 triple handled. lol. that sled didnt turn or handle half as good as this smaller lighter sled. but it sure was fast. was decked out bigtime. from a shop b4 i bought it. had the head shaved a lil, piped, canned, clutched, dif skis, and dif pistons an rods and all. boy that sled was my fav 1 i ever owned. i know this SLS will never b that fast, but im sure i can get her to do lil more safely and also look better. thx for the info! it is a short sled! would be nice to make it lil longer track possibly and handle the deep snow better. but im sure when i add some studs to the track thats gona help a lot. i nspin so much its crazy lol. i will ride about 3-4 miles and it will show i went about 30+ miles! haha. but ya i dunno much about the suspensions an all the mods ya can do to them and stuff. can i ever put a bigger motor in possibly someday if i wanted too? jw. lol learning alot more daily! will look into what u mentioned and appreciate the help lots! some studs and skis, mayb shocks and rear shock mite make big dif. along with some clutch tuning or whatever i can do to the clutch. iv saw people talk bout putting dif springs n stuff and dif gear in chaincase i think and get more spped. but dont wanna take away top end either. thx!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dont my sls have the sc-II suspension? i think anyway. lol. just learned about motors and carbs and the basics to keep them running until now, im trying to and learning so much! saw some crazy sled changes people do! like tunnel extensions and longer tracks an all that. jus wana take good care of her, and get all i can for speed an handling out of it:).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
that looks alot like mine! cant notice any difference by looking. what does coupled mean? sry just not really familiar with the suspensions yet, learning everyday. but i know forsure its a sc10 of saome sort. just that looks very similar. but im sure the 2 r similar looking lol

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
Look at the picture sled ed posted........harder! Hint.....look at the rails at the back wheels, just in front and above lol!

The SC10 does not have the coupling block at the rear swing arm scissor point! The SC 10 III has the same coupling blocks too.
The coupled term means when the front skid shock compresses the rear shock and swing arm collapses with the front......keeping the whole skid in the same linear line and bridges the bump your going over to keep the track/skid from teeter tottering through the bumps and bucking you! Beat way I can explain it right now lol......it's late! Basically the coupling blocks on the SC 10 2 and 3 keep the sled planted for better traction than the older SC10......yours is still coupled, just in a different way and not as good.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Look at the picture sled ed posted........harder! Hint.....look at the rails at the back wheels, just in front and above lol!

The SC10 does not have the coupling block at the rear swing arm scissor point! The SC 10 III has the same coupling blocks too.
The coupled term means when the front skid shock compresses the rear shock and swing arm collapses with the front......keeping the whole skid in the same linear line and bridges the bump your going over to keep the track/skid from teeter tottering through the bumps and bucking you! Beat way I can explain it right now lol......it's late! Basically the coupling blocks on the SC 10 2 and 3 keep the sled planted for better traction than the older SC10......yours is still coupled, just in a different way and not as good.
I was at the end of my break at work or I would of explained it better although probably not as good as you did. My brain isn't always the best when working the dam midnight shift lol.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
That's by no means the right stuff^^^^ lol!!! my quick explanation though!?

Still my story and I'm some what sticking too it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts