Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed many times. I want to add reverse to my 1996 SkiDoo Formula S 380. I am new to snowmobiles so please bear with this noob.

I found a reverse for a "F Chassis STX Formula Z". Will this fit my sled?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Depending on year of STX case..,,If original to year, the shift lever mount/set up is different. The 96 and up shift lever et al should be correct to plug and play on the S chassis. If 95 or older it is a different set up. The gear set up is the same and can be used in either chassis case. The main internal difference what is called the "coupler shaft". The end of the drive axle is bigger on the STX compared to the formula S. There is coupler shafts with a small ID and large ID. The OD is same for all. So, I believe if you bought a complete set up for a 95 STX you would also need to find a S chassis shift set up and the small ID coupler shaft.

Reactions: snorander

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Hi,

I know this topic has been discussed many times. I want to add reverse to my 1996 SkiDoo Formula S 380. I am new to snowmobiles so please bear with this noob.

I found a reverse for a "F Chassis STX Formula Z". Will this fit my sled?

Thanks in advance.
No it will not fit! You need a reverse kit from a 380, the 583 has a bigger coupler shaft. with a little effort you can make the either levers work

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I installed a reverse assembly from a 98 Formula Z into a 97 formula SL. The SL has the small OD Drive shaft ( takes small ID coupler). I installed the drive axle from the Z into the SL and used the large ID coupler shaft on the large OD drive axle. But if you doo that you need to change the inner half of chain case due to bearing size on drive axle. The jack shaft works for either chain case. Then I used all 13 wide gears and chain for the Formula SL. If you have a complete donner sled then its not too bad but to buy all parts from salvage etc the cost is likely too much.

Reactions: tommc56

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have other sleds but a friend was selling this one for $750. It has 360 miles on it and looked brand new. Being smaller in size I figured it would be fun to run around on my property. Anyways after I bought it, my only regret was it didn’t have reverse. I’m going to sit out and wait for one on eBay from the exact same sled. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Assuming your sled has the original drive axle and the unit you bought came from a sled with an original drive axle. You will need to find the small ID coupler shaft. They came on any fan cooled S sleds with mechanical reverse.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
I may have the correct coupler , I'll try to look tonight .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts