Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have come across a 95 summit 583, that im seriously interested in buying. I am searching for pros and cons to the sled. reliability? thanks in advance.
00C0C_lme5WWML1oq_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
583's are great little motors, pull hard and are quite reliable. Check compression and make sure you don't hear any banging or raddling from the PTO side, if you do probably has bad crank bearings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i rode with a guy who had a 97 583, and it seemed to be a good sled, just didnt know if there was any issues with this older body style. dont know anything about this style of skidoo

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
No, the 95 583 was a rock solid motor.

I have the 95 Summit 583 and have never put a wrench on the motor except to do the HAC removal. I'm the second owner so I'm not sure if the mileage is 7200 miles or 17200 miles (previous owner rode every single day).

My only major complaint about the 94-95 Summits is they feel heavy. Dry weight is 515 lbs, but when you ride them and try to get one unstuck, you'd swear it weighs 800 lbs.

As far as going down a bumpy trail, At 35 mph and under it will beat the crap out of you, but at 40 mph and over it smooths out real nice. Just the nature of the suspension on it.

The only other negative is the pull start is one of the hardest in the industry. It has a small spool for the rope so you don't get the leverage. Some people have replaced the recoil with a newer style one that adds about 1" diameter and it makes a huge difference.

As far as positives. Super reliable, the 583 does very good. Rarely go through belts. Comfortable seat. If you're going to do a lot of carving or powder, I'd recommend a riser. The riser will make a difference in how heavy the machine feels too.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No kidding about that recoil. My 583's compression tests at around 145 psi and I damn near pull the machine backwards when I have to pull it over.

Usually have to give it a little throttle to get it going after sitting for a bit so you have to pull it with one arm. I can do it but it's pretty rough.

·
Registered
83 Posts
is the pic the one you are looking at? cuz that's a 470 unless the owner swapped the engine. My 1995 Summit 583 had 17000miles with no issues....before I sold it to my neighbour and he still uses it daily.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
The only thing I would say is if you purchase this machine, protect that windshield support!! There are no replacements and even when they come up on auction sites people want a fortune for them.

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
No kidding about that recoil. My 583's compression tests at around 145 psi and I darn near pull the machine backwards when I have to pull it over.

Usually have to give it a little throttle to get it going after sitting for a bit so you have to pull it with one arm. I can do it but it's pretty rough.
Ha! U have no idea . My recoil broke on my 670ho and all I had was a small one to use . Would of needed two people to start it lol .

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts