Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

95 Formula Z 583 Starter help, please!

11K views 43 replies 10 participants last post by  snorander 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
First timer here at the site. At 58 years old I finally got the sled bug and bought two doo's for my wife, and myself. Searched long and hard for a couple of great deals on low mileage sleds in mint condition. Now, I find my 95 formula z 583 is a brute to pull. After having a reportable dealer check it out and confirming it has no issues and it's the nature of that beast I went searching for a e start setup. Found one on eBay, not a cheap after market but a actual skidoo add on. Came off a 94 formula z 583, mines a 95. My issue is the starter won't clear the front engine mount on the left closest to the primary clutch side. Starter body is just a tiny bit too wide. This is without the brackets being installed yet. Everything as far as parts is correct. I know the f chassis is the same on both years. Anyone run into this before? I swear at some time I read a thread somewhere that another person had the same issue and had to modify the engine mount plate or the engine mount. Please can someone help me out? Thank you very much in advance... Tom

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 ·
Switch out the rewind for a newer style . They are bigger and easier to pull .

Sent from my HTC One S

#12 ·
I had a 96 SLS that I switched over to the larger recoil and then came across a electric start kit that I put on it. I still have the larger recoil with the extra parts you need to make this change. You need the larger recoil, a connecting flange, a damper ring and a metal band or clamp that holds the starter to the mount.

At the time I had to purchase the parts separately and paid over $200., I would sell the complete kit for $150. USD plus actual postage cost if anyone is interested. I looked on the microfiche and some or the parts are no longer available.

#15 ·
I'm cutting, and modifying my engine hold down plate, and moving the mount location to gain more room. Then I'll make a bracket to reattach the hold down plate to a new mount location. This darn things going to have e start if I've got to spend a month cutting and engineering. Now I just hope I clear the water pump housing.

#17 ·
I'm cutting, and modifying my engine hold down plate, and moving the mount location to gain more room. Then I'll make a bracket to reattach the hold down plate to a new mount location. This darn things going to have e start if I've got to spend a month cutting and engineering. Now I just hope I clear the water pump housing.
How much room do you have on the carb side to rotate the motor? Might you be able to use the other motor mount plate that estart works with and still have room for the carbs to clear?

#18 ·
I'm going to cut the mounting tab on the mount plate back to the plate. Then bolt and mount a piece of steal to the plate further back to not hit the starter and bring it down the side of the starter at more of a right angle, then back under the starter to the mount which I'll relocate on the frame just beyond the starter towards the front more.

#19 ·
post pics. all i can say lol

Reactions: snorander
#25 ·
Well done! I gave up and sold all my E-start parts....
That's a shame, now I could do one in maybe 3-4 hours complete. Could have helped you out. Tricky part was updating the wiring for the new regulator and charging system. Think now I'll swap my wife's formulaS over. It's a easy pull, but nice having two starting systems.

#26 ·
That's a shame, now I could do one in maybe 3-4 hours complete. Could have helped you out. Tricky part was updating the wiring for the new regulator and charging system. Think now I'll swap my wife's formulaS over. It's a easy pull, but nice having two starting systems.
Ok I lied, I kept, the 4 wire relay. I installed that, a battery, and the wire from the battery to the ignition switch so my battery would get charged. I installed a power port for my gps & other devices so I had to convert my sled to DC. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.