Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey guys. Been a long time reader and as a first time poster, I want to says a big thank you to those who take time off their schedule to share their knowledge and stories on this forum. It's a great source of information to anyone who's into sledding.

Here's my story. I was about 10 years old when the redesigned 1991 Mach 1 came out. I remember seeing the ad on TV at the time. One day, my father who owned (and still do!) a Nordik 50 had to stop by the Bombardier dealer for some spark plugs or something and I decided to get in with him. There it was, on a stand, with a couple spot lights pointed at it. The New Mach. Man it was good looking. Almost like a beautiful woman you can't keep your eyes off. I don't remember what I said but I knew, one day, I would own one.

Fast forward 25 years during these past holidays. I was sitting at home watching TV at night and there was a news segment about a vintage sled ride that was planned between Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve in our area. Although I owned lots of sleds over the years, I realized I had never owned the Mach of my dreams! Time to change that. And, in early January, I went hunting. Turns out my hunting trip didn't went as smooth as I'd hopped, but I kept on trying for find the perfect 91-92 Mach. Almost a month later, I was still looking to find a decent shape Mach… So I started looking for a 93-94 era Mach 1 that I could turn into a 92, my favorite of all Mach's. Then things started to move and I found a 93 which was almost perfect expect for a worn out track. It was more expensive and the owner didn't really want to sell… He wanted to trade it for something else. Then I found a 94 which was in poor condition aesthetically, but had a good motor and a good track. Plus, it was cheap. So on February 2nd, I went and bought the cheap one and brought it back home! Yesterday I started working on the sled for the first time. Felt great about it. Disassembled everything I could in the afternoon and cleaned as I go. Today, a full day's work. Removed the engine, clutch, oil and coolant tanks, coil, wiring etc… And spent all afternoon with a friend cleaning the body pan and engine compartment. What a mess it was! Now it looks much better and it's very encouraging to see the sled emerging from underneath the grease and debris!

So there you go. I got an almost new 1992 seat coming. Brand new 1992 decals kit also. Found a great guy in Ontario who has a bunch of parts for these PRS sleds (Chris if you're here, thanks man!) so I got lots of stuff from him which should be here next week too. In the meantime I bought a 93 Formula Plus that's missing an engine from a local guy. Couple parts on there that I'll be able to use, then I'll probably resell it to someone who need parts too… Very excited about the progress so far. Surprised that the sled didn't need more than a good scrub, considering the state it was in when I picked it up. These PRS Formulas are impressively built. Plans for next week are: Remove handlebars, remove plastic console, prep the body and suspension parts for media blasting, then start working on the cab and windshield restoration.

Any comment or tips are welcomed! I already found lots of help from some PRS guys here in Quebec which were really helpful. I'm sure some of them are here on this forum! BTW If anyone has a new old stock low windshield for these or one in very good condition, would you please send me a message!! Having a really hard time finding a good one without any cracks!

I'll do my best to keep you posted as I go.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great story! Make sure to post lists of pictures of the project!

Bossmatt123

·
Registered
516 Posts
It's nice to see some of these Prs sleds are being saved!

Just a FYI you posted this thread in the forsale section maybe ask an admin if you can have it moved to the other vintage section.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. BTW, I sent a message for the thread to be moved almost immediately after posting it here by mistake...

ADMIN, please move thread to "Vintage" main section.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Looks good - will be nice to see the final results. These sleds were highly engineered machines for sure. What part of Quebec are you in?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hey Mister! How are you? Welcom to Dootalk! ;-)

Lets keep in touch on your rebuilt! Hope we could find some time to ride together when your sled will be completed...
It could be fun to organise a PRS ride with some other member on this site...

The Prs tie rod cover you found on ebay are repro from one of the dootalk member here. You will get good review on them.
We need more picture! ;-)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'm from the Gaspé area btw. Very little snow here right now which is unusual! Usually by this time of the year, we're buried.

I'll post some more pictures as I go. Today, I went down south and picked up a 93 Mach 1. This one's in very good shape and has the black head 670 in it. I'll do a partial restoration on it too!

More to come ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Damn she looks good ! Nothing like a mint 93 mach 1, I love it. I'm picking up another 93 mach tmr aswell ! Watch for my build thread that's coming.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Dude.....what's with the mods not moving your thread into the vintage forum!? I bet if we start posting up some nude pics or curse like sailors they would be all over it like white on rice!

Reactions: russellmxz

·
Registered
609 Posts
Is that a monster sticker I see on there? That thing must rip!!! Lol
JK man, I love the look of those sleds

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's the way it looks now, after a quick wax and those **** stickers gone!! :laugh_old:

My suspension was set pretty low when I got it. The previous owner was about 5' 4", 150#. Since I'm 6' 1", 220#, I decided to raise the suspension to the second hole (from the lowest) and crank up the shocks to max preload. Went riding with the sled for the first time this past weekend and it's very uncomfortable. Almost no give on the suspension. Ride height looked great, higher than usual for sure but I thought it would help with confort... It Didn't. Maybe the pre-load is too high... I didn't bring any tools with me so I couldn't try different settings... And it was -20c outside so....

Anyone care to share their setup? I just want the sled to be as confortable as possible. I don't race or do 1/4 mile runs on weekends, except when I'm alone :wink_old:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 67 Posts