Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 XRS 900R,

My first 4 stroke, absolutely love it!!! BUT...
did any of you, with the 900R or Mach's find the power to be inconsistent? My last ride of the season was 1700 km's out of Cochrane ON. Most of the miles were at high speed where you could notice the power differences. Had 2 Mach's on the trip, they blamed the fuel. I know that we had to buy some Regular fuel at some stops which contributed to the power fluctuations, but the 1 850 Lynx in the group ran consistent, (top end pull) all week, regardless of the fuel. I used the Lynx as a measuring stick as most days I'd pull away without to much effort on the long pulls, and then all of a sudden I couldn't touch him. It's not like the power was gone and stayed gone, couple hours later I'd outpull him again. Drove me a little nuts!

I noticed that as the ambient temperature rose the power decreased. Intake temp rising and computer pulling power???

·
Registered
2012 Freeride 137(Sold), 2022 XRS 900 T R(Sold), 2020 FreeRide 154, 2023 Expedition Xtreme 900 T R
3,047 Posts
I would have thought that as temp / snow conditions changed it would have had the same affect on all sleds?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Conditions are a huge factor on these sleds, temperature being one of the biggest. High IAT will pull timing much more than an N/A sled. Side note with your fuel though. Consider carrying some octane boost, running your sled hard with regular fuel will not only hurt performance, it can hurt your motor, low octane on a warm day and running hard is probably not the best combination. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Conditions are a huge factor on these sleds, temperature being one of the biggest. High IAT will pull timing much more than an N/A sled. Side note with your fuel though. Consider carrying some octane boost, running your sled hard with regular fuel will not only hurt performance, it can hurt your motor, low octane on a warm day and running hard is probably not the best combination. Cheap insurance.
We had octane boost in both sleds over the week when needed, which only muddied the waters. Nothing but my BUTT-dyno to register anything, highly unreliable data to base any conclusions from. I was wondering if anyone else had similar results, hoping they may have a better understanding????

·
boost junkie
11,762 Posts
just a few degrees warmer coolant temps and the ecu will pull timing
add warm motor with heat soaked IC and your going to be down 30+ hp

Reactions: Daag44 and ncapster

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is the guy on the 850 messing with you. I know a guy who'll let you win. Then run you until you change something.

If you get slower he will let you win. Blow your doors off then just beat you by a ski length.

Make a tuner pull there hair out.

Pretty entertaining honestly.

I think these sleds are supposed to make #18 boost.
When they doo they run consistent. I'd focus on that if it were me..

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Get a stiffer driven spring also to slow down the over shift .
Is the clutch spring force changing causing inconsistent performance compared to the 850 in the group?

Or is the turbo not building boost like the other 900R with limp performance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the clutch spring force changing causing inconsistent performance compared to the 850 in the group?

Or is the turbo not building boost like the other 900R with limp performance.
I can't say if boost is inconsistent, but doesn't feel like it's pulling at 100% for sure. I didn't want to muddy the waters but, also belt had 3000 mi on it, we'll start with fresh belt next season and see what happens. I'm not going to go crazy looking for those lost ponie's, it's a trail sled! Just wondering if any one else experienced something similar.

@krm, no he aint messin with me, he knows we got him covered most days, he just loves to get out front and chuckle at us "4 Jokes", (his words) and oh yah, he's nuts! Maybe step up for ECU Flash, sounds like they are just around the corner. LET IT SNOW BABY!!!

·
Registered
2012 Freeride 137(Sold), 2022 XRS 900 T R(Sold), 2020 FreeRide 154, 2023 Expedition Xtreme 900 T R
3,047 Posts
Boy I sure hope the belt gets more than 3000 miles! (My 2012 800 ETEC FreeRide never once blew a belt in 18,000 miles. I changed them out once the inside started to crack, around 6000 miles)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Are you guys running 0w20 or 0w40 in your 900r. Reason I ask is the valve moment is dampend by oil.

Out of the crate they come with 0w40 and I heard a coworker mention of dropping the oil before start up and switch to blue 0w20.

Is your oil blue?

Is there someone with a good working 900 turbo comander that can verify oil pressure?

·
boost junkie
11,762 Posts
the 900 does not have a oil psi sensor
oem it has a low oil switch
same pos they have been using for years

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The plastic one that leaks and trips.

I was suggesting a oil pressure tool. Brp has one it looks like a oil filter cap with a gauge that reads out a analog dial.

A small deviance in valve movement has twice the effect in a boosted mill as the same NA.

·
Registered
2022 Renegade Adrenaline 900R
235 Posts
2022 XRS 900R,

My first 4 stroke, absolutely love it!!! BUT...
did any of you, with the 900R or Mach's find the power to be inconsistent? My last ride of the season was 1700 km's out of Cochrane ON. Most of the miles were at high speed where you could notice the power differences. Had 2 Mach's on the trip, they blamed the fuel. I know that we had to buy some Regular fuel at some stops which contributed to the power fluctuations, but the 1 850 Lynx in the group ran consistent, (top end pull) all week, regardless of the fuel. I used the Lynx as a measuring stick as most days I'd pull away without to much effort on the long pulls, and then all of a sudden I couldn't touch him. It's not like the power was gone and stayed gone, couple hours later I'd outpull him again. Drove me a little nuts!

I noticed that as the ambient temperature rose the power decreased. Intake temp rising and computer pulling power???
I noticed this EXACT thing!
This 900R seems to have a lot of safeties in it which is great.
When my Sidewinder lost some power due to high IC, I'd notice it especially in RPM's.
This sled gets the same RPM's, pulls just as hard, but then I can't blow by some of the sleds I did earlier.
Conditions slow a sled down, but it should effect them all. Especially the same chassis sled.
Gas can effect power, but it should effect them all especially 2-Jokes.

This sled FAR outperformed my expectations so I'm not bitchin'
Just curious about these "inconsistencies"

I was planning on some upgrades to help, but the Stocks took a beating this year so maybe it's time to watch my pennies a bit more.

But my name is stevewithOCD so the hell with the Mortgage!!!!

1 - 20 of 227 Posts