Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few of the Skandic and Expy 900ACE's develop cracks in the manifold around 9-12000kms.

This first area appears to be PTO side cylinder, bottom half of the flange weld, and the same position on the MAG side. However the one I worked at today had cracking in the seam welds between the cylinders and the sled was very loud as a result.

If you suspect but aren't sure, look for black sooty deposits near the exhaust port or use your hand to feel around the mani for airflow when the sled is running. I could not see the seam weld cracks until I felt the air and looked more closely.

I welded one up today for a friend and reinstalled, all is good now. Something for us to keep an eye on. For the record, the sled still worked fine, it was just loud.

515546238c6bb7e8830017d14de000c7.jpg

a22f9b7f59b8640592721cf7e893d291.jpg

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Every vehicle has at least one re-occurring defect and you can blame it on the engineers and manufacturers but being human they can't always get every little thing right all the time.

·
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every vehicle has at least one re-occurring defect and you can blame it on the engineers and manufacturers but being human they can't always get every little thing right all the time.
Who's blaming the engineers? I don't expect perfection and I'll take the odd easily repairable manifold crack over a serious problem that leaves me stranded in the woods.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

Who's blaming the engineers? I don't expect perfection and I'll take the odd easily repairable manifold crack over a serious problem that leaves me stranded in the woods.
Me, but read my post again. I was a mechanic for years and every vehicle including my Ford truck has defects...……...just sayin'

Reactions: mbret2004

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thanks LB, will be keeping an eye on mine. Did the sled have any surge or inconsistent idle? Or only louder like you said?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LabradorBoy

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had a crack in mine. First indication was an exhaust smell from under the hood. Welded it up with 5/64 ss rod. I hope it holds as a new one costs close to 500$.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

·
Supreme Snowmobiler
2,079 Posts
Interesting, the smaller sleds with the 900 don't have the welded brackets on them. I assume thats for a heat shield? Maybe getting too hot in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Changing my oil and fuel filters today and see that I have a cracked manifold as well. just under 10 000 km's

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have seen a few of the Skandic and Expy 900ACE's develop cracks in the manifold around 9-12000kms.

This first area appears to be PTO side cylinder, bottom half of the flange weld, and the same position on the MAG side. However the one I worked at today had cracking in the seam welds between the cylinders and the sled was very loud as a result.

If you suspect but aren't sure, look for black sooty deposits near the exhaust port or use your hand to feel around the mani for airflow when the sled is running. I could not see the seam weld cracks until I felt the air and looked more closely.

I welded one up today for a friend and reinstalled, all is good now. Something for us to keep an eye on. For the record, the sled still worked fine, it was just loud.

Labrador: Dang, you do nice work. Not just the work on the sleds but the way you keep all of us informed. Clear, well written, pictures. It all takes time and we really appreciate it.

Thank you! from all of us.

·
Registered
Custom sleds
1,401 Posts
It's not a difficult repair and it is a mass produced part so i'm expecting the design has points where the pressure and or vibration builds up more than others. Not quite rounded enough or straight enough.
Even heating furnaces have choke points where they crack. Just keep an eye on the 900 ace problem and if it happens in the woods carry a some muffler tape with you. It certainly wouldn't be the first exhaust patch i have done over the years. I've patched the exhaust manifold on my old dodge dakota. It happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts