Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked it up. Had the dealer ditch the expo "diaper seat" and put on my 1+1 system from the previous renegade. I like the look and it feels easier to hop over and one-knee as it's more narrow, although I only tried the stock seat in the showroom and not real-world conditions.

More jewelry for the new lady coming this week including:

- XC Bumper

- Led Headlights

- Block heater pad + battery tender

- Engine temp module (I hate that this isn't a stock feature, cash grab)

- Ski Skins

I'll also throw on the linq can from the old sled.

Questions:

- Show me your rack mods! I'm considering an action packer mounted on the back. I often head to the cabin solo and would like the option to bring the beer/food/basic supplies on sled without a boggan. If you took off the stock rack, why? It seems decent to me, although I see that tail light getting busted.

- Chainsaw mounts, lets see what you got?

- Whats in your toolkit? Do you carry relays?

- Ever not have your ace start in the cold? I tested mine yesterday at a balmy -35c and it fired without hesitation, bit rough on the idle for the first bit but the confidence is good. However not sure how this will keep up over age.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Congrats on the new sled!! There's lots of good info on the questions you are asking-. Try the "search" engine at the top right of this forum and the Skandic forum as well and you will get a lot of answers and pictures relating to the things that you're inquiring about. (eg. LINQ attachments, ski skins, chain saw mounts, recovery kits etc just to name a few). Not sure where you are located and how much winter you have left, but some of the "jewelry" you are inquiring about can be done in short order so that you can actually see if you're satisfied with it. I guess I'm somewhat lucky as Old Man Winter looks to have made a comeback around these parts and the big fishing trip for this upcoming weekend/March break should be awesome!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Nice machine!. I am ordering a 600 version in the very near future. I wish I had the chance to ride the 600 and 900 versions before hand....given my riding style (coming off a 550F and nearly never used liquids) I am pretty sure the 600 will be plenty. For a chainsaw mount, I just have a plywood scabbard for a on my plywood cargo box. It gets pretty beat up over time but is very handy for trail clearing. The saw usually lives in its case though to save it from too much banging around. These days I just bring the saw on the first trip of the year or if I am doing some major trailwork. If you haven't used one yet...check out Silky Saws Zubat 330. This is a fantastic hand saw (available from MEC or Big Bear Tools). I have bought a couple of them now...they will make quick work out of any of the skinny trees in your neck of the woods and are worth every penny. It will cut through a 2x4 in about 10 strokes...I basically only used a Zubat for all the lumber and sheet wood while building my cabin...no power tools until the very end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Skunklover: yes I've looked at many of the mods on site already. Lots of nice work, just seeing if anyone else has some new photos that they haven't shared yet! As for winter I fully expect to be on the sled on the ice and at the cabin up until the end of April, one great advantage of living in the North, winter bleeds into summer quite nicely and we get a really long season.

Subarcticguy: You're a better man than I, the Dewalt sliding mitre was the MVP during my cabin build! I also came off a 550f, and there were a few times that I thought the 550 was lacking or I ended up running it flat out through lake runs to keep up. The 4 stroke is a different ball game, I haven't been on the 600 but the power delivery is so different. I'm sure you will be happy with the 600, as the 550 with extra torque on the bottom end would be a nice setup. I know for myself I regretted it the whole time I had the 550 that I didn't spend a bit more and get the top sled in the class I wanted, so this time I just went for it and got everything on the wish list. Remains to be seen whether that was a good or bad decision.

·
Registered
630 Posts
This is how I mounted my Action Packer.
7016d9f3b23c971261222e9d312066f8.jpg

I built a rack from 3/4 Plywood that fits in front of the Action Packer and I can put either a Jerry can or my Ice Auger motor on it(the hole is for the motor shaft). The rack attaches to the snowmobile with a latch on each side.
ceda13548e09a020143e460499625c49.jpg

On my Action Packer I bolted a Piece of 1/2" Lexan to the front of it that fits underneath the rack, making it 100% secure.
5003682e733e3ed21a3b91f67e10b7c5.jpg

28b5065f4f82af970984816e079a5aeb.jpg

On the back end I added a couple J hooks and keep it held down with a tarp strap. I have used this system for about a 1000 kms and it has worked very well so far

·
Registered
111 Posts
Skunklover: yes I've looked at many of the mods on site already. Lots of nice work, just seeing if anyone else has some new photos that they haven't shared yet! As for winter I fully expect to be on the sled on the ice and at the cabin up until the end of April, one great advantage of living in the North, winter bleeds into summer quite nicely and we get a really long season.

Subarcticguy: You're a better man than I, the Dewalt sliding mitre was the MVP during my cabin build! I also came off a 550f, and there were a few times that I thought the 550 was lacking or I ended up running it flat out through lake runs to keep up. The 4 stroke is a different ball game, I haven't been on the 600 but the power delivery is so different. I'm sure you will be happy with the 600, as the 550 with extra torque on the bottom end would be a nice setup. I know for myself I regretted it the whole time I had the 550 that I didn't spend a bit more and get the top sled in the class I wanted, so this time I just went for it and got everything on the wish list. Remains to be seen whether that was a good or bad decision.
Im glad you went for it and you will be too! I moved from the 600 to the 900 and havnt looked back! If you wanna know what the 600 is like, just put the 900 in eco mode...its almost like a 600 just a tad less power. You made the right choice...the 900 has done everything ive asked of it! Enjoy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is how I mounted my Action Packer.
7016d9f3b23c971261222e9d312066f8.jpg

I built a rack from 3/4 Plywood that fits in front of the Action Packer and I can put either a Jerry can or my Ice Auger motor on it(the hole is for the motor shaft). The rack attaches to the snowmobile with a latch on each side.
ceda13548e09a020143e460499625c49.jpg

On my Action Packer I bolted a Piece of 1/2" Lexan to the front of it that fits underneath the rack, making it 100% secure.
5003682e733e3ed21a3b91f67e10b7c5.jpg
28b5065f4f82af970984816e079a5aeb.jpg

On the back end I added a couple J hooks and keep it held down with a tarp strap. I have used this system for about a 1000 kms and it has worked very well so far
Do you know off the top of your head what size action packer that is???? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
mxz1998

Nice work on the action packer, also interested in seeing the other side of that axe mount? Is it another bolt and cotter pin?

Also, do you use the wooden portion forward of the action packer for anything specific?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had an old action packer, no sure the size. It almost fit across the rack sideways. Almost. I had a piece of conduit laying around, heated up the side of the action packer with a heat gun and pressed the conduit into the action packer just below the handle. Did the same for the other side. It now fits across the rack like it was made for it. I have to remove the cover to snap it in place. Once the cover is on, there is no removing the action packer. I dont use a strap, or bolt, or any kind of tie down. I did this a thousand kms ago and have never had an issue with it even looking like it wanted to come loose. I am really pleased with it. I was getting tired of strapping down "containers" and having to undo the straps every time i wanted to open the box. I'd add a picture, but can never get it to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts