Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
On my machine the engine oil has to be normal temp ( Ski Doo recomends to run engine untill rear radiator gets warm and that tells you that the thermostat has opened , then let idle for additional 30 seconds ) also make sure when checking oil that you screw the dipstick all the way in and then remove it to check . When I use to fill with oil , I would let run a couple minutes and i thought it was warm and would show low so I would fill it up . low and behold I would use a lot of oil and go below the add mark , started doing exactly as the operators manual stated saying that oil had to be warm ( operating temp) and after doing that way I do not use oil .
Why wouldn't you just look at the temperature reading on the gauge?

My 2023 is eating oil as well.
Something is up with this?
Did two big rides both around 2000km
And both times down almost a litre
My two buddies not down at all. I don’t smell oil at all. Taking mine in and see what the dealership says.

My 2023 is eating oil as well.
Something is up with this?
Did two big rides both around 2000km
And both times down almost a litre
My two buddies not down at all. I don’t smell oil at all. Taking mine in and see what the dealership says.
mine isn t eating oil but at 2000km my oil is black and in need of change… Waiting until 5k to change oil is ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have your turbo checked!
My 2023 turbo has been going through oil since new. I have had 4 stroke Yamaha's for years and know this is not normal. I took it to the dealer after my last trip. I am at 1,300 miles. Dealer found the turbo is leaking oil past it and needs to be replaced. No replacement parts available till August!

Have your turbo checked!
My 2023 turbo has been going through oil since new. I have had 4 stroke Yamaha's for years and know this is not normal. I took it to the dealer after my last trip. I am at 1,300 miles. Dealer found the turbo is leaking oil past it and needs to be replaced. No replacement parts available till August!
Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the oil leaking past the turbo getting burned in the engine, or is the oil leaking out somewhere into the bottom of your snowmobile?

On my 23 900 Turbo R the air intake hose connecting the turbo to a vent on the hood was disconnected from the fitting on the hood just to the left of the windshield. The large hose clamp holding it on was loose where the hose had come off the fitting. Simple fix, but there was a little oil splashed inside the engine compartment and inside the intake hose. Recently, I've had a few drops of oil on the floor beneath my sled after a ride, where I'm left wondering if I have another leak, or the drips are due to any residual oil left in the bottom of the sled from the loose intake hose.

Are any of these symptoms familiar to you?

I plan on bringing my sled in for service and will be mentioning the oil issue. I got 1,000 miles on mine..

I had a 2019 900 turbo that was using oil. Took it to the dealer and they said it needed a turbo, put new one on still did it. Ended up being a small pinhole in a lobe on the exhaust cam. Since the cams are pressurized with oil the oil leaking out creating to much oil in the valve cover, going out through the pcv valve, and down through the lines to the intercooler. Put in a new cam never had another problem with it, I put another 8000 miles on it and ran great. I have a video of the mechanic pressurizing the old cam with air in water and bubbles coming out. Maybe tell your dealer about this issue

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Got the sled back from the dealer. Turns out the turbo was leaking. BRP standards for what is acceptable for leakage rate is quite high, but dealer was able to change the turbo on warranty. Highly suggest others get their turbo checked if they have similar issues.

Got the sled back from the dealer. Turns out the turbo was leaking. BRP standards for what is acceptable for leakage rate is quite high, but dealer was able to change the turbo on warranty. Highly suggest others get their turbo checked if they have similar issues.
Thanks for the follow up.

Glad BRP fixed you up 👍

Sorry if this is a silly question, but is the oil leaking past the turbo getting burned in the engine, or is the oil leaking out somewhere into the bottom of your snowmobile?

On my 23 900 Turbo R the air intake hose connecting the turbo to a vent on the hood was disconnected from the fitting on the hood just to the left of the windshield. The large hose clamp holding it on was loose where the hose had come off the fitting. Simple fix, but there was a little oil splashed inside the engine compartment and inside the intake hose. Recently, I've had a few drops of oil on the floor beneath my sled after a ride, where I'm left wondering if I have another leak, or the drips are due to any residual oil left in the bottom of the sled from the loose intake hose.

Are any of these symptoms familiar to you?

I plan on bringing my sled in for service and will be mentioning the oil issue. I got 1,000 miles on mine..
My oil blew out the from the muffler unburned. It was really bad when cold, got better as it warmed up.

Thinking about this burning oil issue, Thinking faulty valve seals and guides. Could be a defect that carried for a few pallets that was not caught by quality control. If QC even exists anymore.

These 900's are suppose to be solid however we are starting to see a clear indicator of quality dropping off on components.
Yeah no rush to get rid of my 22 and i still feel my tuned 2020 is better.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts