Engine for Renegade? 850 or 900 Turbo
Engine for Renegade??
850 E-TEC (2-Stroke)10151.01%
900 ACE Turbo (4-Stroke)9748.99%

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Need your input for my purchase of for 2019 Renegade=> a 900 ACE Turbo (4-Stroke) or 850 E-TEC (2-Stroke)??

Need to know Trade-Offs/Differences in: Weight, Reliability, Ride-ability, Torque

They have similar HP (150+ vs 165) but what about Torque?

I do like the throaty low pitch of 4-Strokes vs the higher pitch BRAP of 2-stroke.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Personally I’d still take the 850. I have a 17 with the 850 and obviously haven’t rode the new turbo. For me the 850 is unreal! I don’t mind putting in oil and can get good fuel mileage depending on how hard you ride.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
i find the front end of the 850 too light and unstable.. i'll seriously consider this torqy and light 4 stroke.. in its second year of course :smile_old:

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It's starting already even before anyone has a chance to ride one???? How can anyone here even provide an opinion?

Two completely different sleds designed for riders with completely different priorities. Buy the sled you can test ride first and then make the decision based on how it handles and meets your needs. Again, these two sleds are not aimed at the same buyer at all.

Reactions: 6100D and Budweiser

·
Registered
9,898 Posts
That's a tough one. Someone said the new 900T is 157 hp, if that's accurate we're only talking about a 13 pony difference in " peak " hp compared to the 850's 170 hp. Add a simple flash and it will probably be lights out on the top end. Weight, of course it will weigh more, probably a good 40-50 lbs. Hopefully the new G4 4-stroke chassis got some sort of different steering set-up as the G4 steers a little heavy even with a 2-stroke twin behind the side panels. It reminds me of the original XP before Doo revised the steering geometry in 2010 for a 20% reduction in steering effort. Course the XR had that set-up from the get go so maybe this new chassis has something similar and it will trickle down to the 2-strokes, IDK. Reliability, well that's a no brainer and goes to the 900T. I guess it depends on how long you plan to keep the sled & how many miles you average a season. The 850 is definitely a step up from the 800 E-Tec in that department. Several guys have already put on big miles 8-9K+ without issue. Like I said It's a tough one...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Great point as to how it will steer. Many said it would be impossible to configure the G4 steering as is for a 4-stroke mill. How did they get there then and will it be completely different to other G4's? Just another reason why I would want to test ride.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
I own an 850 'Gade X now. I'm averaging 18 MPG overall for the season and I've got just over 1600 miles on her now. Most of my riding is on tight twisty trails however and I use WOT rarely and only for short bursts. A light playful sled that's capable anywhere is very important so a heavy Turbo isn't for me. If I primarily ran in wide open areas (groomed railbeds, powerlines, etc) at high speeds I'd consider the 900T. It'll run all day at 90+ MPH without eating fuel and oil like it's going out of style. The 850 is a pig when run this way...

Reactions: Ski Dog

·
Registered
288 Posts
850, weight gain is quite large on 900T and will def be greater than a 1200, don’t care what brp says.... and coming from someone who rides an NA 900.... flickablity on a 900 is non existent. 2 strokes all the way. I will be spring ordering a 600R this coming season. Tested an 850 and I love the power... practical use in the twistes was a mess imo. I think 600 class gives best use for how I ride. Now, all that being said.... if you are just a lake racer... by all means go for the 900T... will be the more reliable and tuneable of the two....although take the “more reliable” part with grain of salt. It’s skidoos first ever turbo. Which has potential of “disaster” written all over it

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Buy them both :ride:
^Yes. Please buy them both, run the cheapest gas you can find in them; flog the snot out of them and report back to us so we know which one to buy!

Like most everything in life, there will be a compromise with either. They are both going to be awesome in their own regards.

I might just buy one of each, but my wife would ride one and I know she will prefer the NA 900 ACE or a 600R.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Ask yourself these questions:

850 advantages: light weight, higher HP, motor is 3 years old and has been tested

900T advantages: longevity of motor, no filling oil constantly, fuel mileage, torque, is a turbo and thats cool!

If your buying a gade as a long-track trail sled, you put on high mileage, keep you sleds a long time, and dont mind having a year-1 motor... Get the 900T

If your buying a gade as a crossover, you buy new regularly, dont mind filling with oil constantly... Get the 850

I voted 850, mainly because if I was in the market this year, I would want to go with the more mature 850 motor and wait out any potential hiccups the 900T may have.

·
Registered
599 Posts
My simple answer without any real review of the 900 T-

I'm going to assume the 4 stroke engine will last more miles than the 2 stroke. Based on that assumption I would buy the 4 stroke if I plan on keeping a sled 10 years but I would buy the 2 stroke if I like the "built in antiquity" of the shorter life expectancy of a 2 stroke.

It would be hard to convince my wife I need to upgrade a 4 stroke sled with only 10k miles on it. The engine still has plenty of life but the rest of the sled may be tired. The regular technology advances in all portions of our sleds makes me want to upgrade sleds every 5 years. As an example - 5 yrs ago I was on a 600 etec XP chassis Renegade, fast forward to last year and I'm on a 850 G4 Renegade. There is a noticeable change in suspension and chassis to me.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It would be hard to convince my wife I need to upgrade a 4 stroke sled with only 10k miles on it.
I just think it's cool that your wife actually understands that a 4-stroke has a longer life expectancy than a 2.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I just think it's cool that your wife actually understands that a 4-stroke has a longer life expectancy than a 2.
I'll admit it, my wife does too, and she doesn't even ride.

She also gets the benefits of a small turbo compared to a larger N/A.

Her last Explorer had the 3.5 N/A V6, this one has the 2.3 Ecoboost 4 banger. This one is night and day better.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts