Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I was riding my 900 ACE SWT a week ago and noticed a fuel smell for a significant time of riding. I was doing a fair bit of slower speeds with lots of small hills to ascent/descend and for about 2 hours there was a fuel smell. Has anyone else experience this? I checked the fuel cap and it was on tight but I wasn't sure if being on/off the throttle a bit would lead to unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust? I had about 2/3 of a tank of gas at the time and had not filled the tank for 2 days. There was plenty of snow for cooling and I was at 4 bars constantly.

Is there an overflow out of the tank somewhere? I recalled there being a thread here a couple years ago of a burnt out Skandic but I couldn't find it.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Hey all,

I was riding my 900 ACE SWT a week ago and noticed a fuel smell for a significant time of riding. I was doing a fair bit of slower speeds with lots of small hills to ascent/descend and for about 2 hours there was a fuel smell. Has anyone else experience this? I checked the fuel cap and it was on tight but I wasn't sure if being on/off the throttle a bit would lead to unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust? I had about 2/3 of a tank of gas at the time and had not filled the tank for 2 days. There was plenty of snow for cooling and I was at 4 bars constantly.

Is there an overflow out of the tank somewhere? I recalled there being a thread here a couple years ago of a burnt out Skandic but I couldn't find it.

Thanks
Yes i get the gas smell all the time, comming from the tank vent/check valve, not supposed to but it does, always down hiil though, good on the level or up hill.

The thread your referring to is a V800 swt that blew up in 2008 i believe, cause a lot of havoc, almost killed a fellow, all good now!

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
I notice the fuel smell on my ACEs in warmer weather, usually when I'm running for an extended period of time, I figure the engine bay heat and tunnel heat exchanger heat helps warm the fuel tank, encouraging venting. Pretty sure I've noticed it with the 1200 as well.

Not so obvious when the temp drops below 0F.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
since we're on the topic of tank anyone hear that humming comming from under the hood for 5-10 minutes after shutting down the engine, sounds like a snow machine far..far away....the tank venting..yes?

·
Registered
256 Posts
since we're on the topic of tank anyone hear that humming comming from under the hood for 5-10 minutes after shutting down the engine, sounds like a snow machine far..far away....the tank venting..yes?
Yes i can hear that humming too on my wifes xp and my xm, it goes away when ou open the fuel cap.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes almost like a electric hum, only when you sit on it. if you bounce on the seat it will come off and on, I posted last year and most said vent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes i get the gas smell all the time, comming from the tank vent/check valve, not supposed to but it does, always down hiil though, good on the level or up hill.

The thread your referring to is a V800 swt that blew up in 2008 i believe, cause a lot of havoc, almost killed a fellow, all good now!
Well I am glad that I am not the only one experiencing this. I was slightly concerned as I remember reading that V800 article and did not want to experience it myself. I will have to keep an eye on the ambient temps when I notice the smell. See if it goes away with colder weather.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hey all,

Thanks
My 2013 WT 600 ace has a clear overflow tube routed from the gas tank, over the engine, along the left frame to the left shock tube. It may have been inserted into a small hole on the left like the radiator overflow tube is on the right side. I extended the tube and routed it outside along the back of the left shock housing. Zip tied it to the shipping strap tab. Fuel has spilled when tank is full and sled tipped over. I've seen it dripping from inside and decided it is best to have it purge directly outside.

IMG_2487.jpg IMG_2489.jpg IMG_2490.jpg IMG_2488.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
My 1200 se has same humm, take off gas cap and it goes away.
Mine does have a fuel smeel after i ride it for a while, i smells strong but i think its from vent

·
Registered
19 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but I had this same issue today. I had sled on back of truck on a roll up ramp,(so sloped uphill a bit) fuelled up at the gas station, (filled to the n*ts). When I got to my daughters' place I could smell gas, and it was dripping a bit on the right hand side under the transmission. Smell cleared up after a bit, but then I smelled gas again after going down a long steep hill, just like mentioned upthread. Is there a vent/checkvalve or something in there that could be stuck open? Suv1 says he has same thing going down hill? Haven't had a chance to go take a good look at it yet.

Sorry, sled is a 2015 Skandic 900 ace, just got sled late last season, didn't notice it before.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I see this is an old thread, but I had this same issue today. I had sled on back of truck on a roll up ramp,(so sloped uphill a bit) fuelled up at the gas station, (filled to the n*ts). When I got to my daughters' place I could smell gas, and it was dripping a bit on the right hand side under the transmission
I got this smell on 2 SWT's i bought last spring, a 900 and 600, i don't see and gas flowing out like you though, yours gas around the gearbox i would worry a bit, it could be leaking where the fuel pump goes in the tank, take the side panel off and check to see if it's wet, if you don't see anything start the engine and look again, it will leak only under pressure if the filter cap is leaking, if you see a leak there i would stop the engine and not run it until it's fixed,

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the side cover off to look around fuel pump, but couldn't see anything, but ya it's a little close to the exhaust system on that side. Need to have a better look. I probably over-filled it, but would like to see where it comes out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My 2013 WT 600 ace has a clear overflow tube routed from the gas tank, over the engine, along the left frame to the left shock tube. It may have been inserted into a small hole on the left like the radiator overflow tube is on the right side. I extended the tube and routed it outside along the back of the left shock housing. Zip tied it to the shipping strap tab. Fuel has spilled when tank is full and sled tipped over. I've seen it dripping from inside and decided it is best to have it purge directly outside.

attachicon.gif
IMG_2487.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2489.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2490.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_2488.jpg
I'm gonna have to check this out too, thanks!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
My summit would push gas out the overflow tube when it was on the trailer and sun was out/temps would rise. My trailer was nose down so the front of the sled was also nose down. The overflow tube in the tank is thus submerged in the gas so as the air space in the tank heats up and expands it pushes gas out the tube. Now I store it nose up so overflow tube is above the gas. Air space in tank heats up and expands, air exits via the overflow tube, gas stays in the tank. Don't know if same with Skandic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts