Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been two months since I got my new Grand Touring Le 900 ace 2016. Great sled by the way. In the beginning, I was disappointed about the fuel mileage, since it shows average 14-16 liters pr. 100 km in the ECO mode at cruise speed (30-50 km pr. hour). I used it a lot, and not with the top speed, since it was new, and need to get a first time service. The service was done, and I could feel that the engine has changed. The performance has increased, especially in the ECO mode. Then I could see that it averaged 9-11 liters pr. 100 km. The better fuel mileage was noticeable. But then something changed again. I was traveling, then I reached a lake, so I drove at top speed around 5 minutes. But somehow the engine decreased its perfomance. I couldn't increase the speed. The engine was somehow confused, since it wouldn't go above 80 kilometers pr. hour. I stopped a minute and tried again. Now it could go up to around 110 kilometers pr hour at sport mode. Slower than before. It was weird. And the fuel mileage changed too, as before it was serviced. I called the dealer, and they said that they might be water in the fuel tank. They advised me to buy Redex fuel additive, so it could remove the water. Done, I put some. Still no change. We adjusted the drive belt too. Still no change. Does anyone knows what the problem might be? Did the software somehow changed the horsepower?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
It's been two months since I got my new Grand Touring Le 900 ace 2016. Great sled by the way. In the beginning, I was disappointed about the fuel mileage, since it shows average 14-16 liters pr. 100 km in the ECO mode at cruise speed (30-50 km pr. hour). I used it a lot, and not with the top speed, since it was new, and need to get a first time service. The service was done, and I could feel that the engine has changed. The performance has increased, especially in the ECO mode. Then I could see that it averaged 9-11 liters pr. 100 km. The better fuel mileage was noticeable. But then something changed again. I was traveling, then I reached a lake, so I drove at top speed around 5 minutes. But somehow the engine decreased its perfomance. I couldn't increase the speed. The engine was somehow confused, since it wouldn't go above 80 kilometers pr. hour. I stopped a minute and tried again. Now it could go up to around 110 kilometers pr hour at sport mode. Slower than before. It was weird. And the fuel mileage changed too, as before it was serviced. I called the dealer, and they said that they might be water in the fuel tank. They advised me to buy Redex fuel additive, so it could remove the water. Done, I put some. Still no change. We adjusted the drive belt too. Still no change. Does anyone knows what the problem might be? Did the software somehow changed the horsepower?
You may have issues with your clutch causing inconsistent RPM and speed.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Almost sounds like a coil gone bad? Running on two cylinders.

Reactions: Aqqalu

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okey, I went to the dealer, after two weeks of waiting. They checked it, plugged a computer to it, downloaded data and sent it to Ski-Doo. After few hours the dealer said that there is nothing wrong with the sled. WHAT! He didn't even test the sled, he didn't even took the hood off to see the engine or coils. Then he explained me about the iTC controls, like i didn't know how it works. And then he said that the sled would detect coil failure, if it had it. Frustrating. Since he didn't have time to inspect it more, we agreed to send it to the workshop on Monday. If I can't get it over 115 km/h, there is obviously something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Can you tell us at what RPM the engine is running when at max speed? Supposed to be 7200 but there is well documented here that the stock drive springs go soft and the RPM's drop and performance suffers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
One thing I will note, after break in inspection.... Performance suffered. Found track was too tight... Loosen it up... Much better outcome. I will note though, strongly recommend DuPont slides... Also, make sure belts and sheaves are clean... Slippage is also a culprit

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will check the rpm again this week, so I will inform during the weekend. But as I remember from last time, I didn't went up to 7200 in sport mode, maximum speed. As I remember, it only went up to around 6000. And the sound of the engine sounds weak. Especially in Eco mode, it sounds too weak. It sounded much stronger, before the engine changed.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I think you have a bad coil and easy to check.

Remove top console.

This will reveal the top of the engine and show the three coils on top of the plugs, with the sled running unplug the grey connector to the plug one at a time and you will hear the engine tone change on the good cylinders and no change on the bad one,once located it's one torx screw and pull it out and replace with new one.

I've lost 2 on the wifes 900 this winter and they don't throw a code.Shouldn't take more than 1/2 hour

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Exactly! That's what I thought! But since I still have warranty, this should be a job for the dealer. But the dealer doesn't seems to know the problem, since he didn't solve the problem with his computer. Thanks for your big help. I will print your answer, and let the dealer read it. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Exactly! That's what I thought! But since I still have warranty, this should be a job for the dealer. But the dealer doesn't seems to know the problem, since he didn't solve the problem with his computer. Thanks for your big help. I will print your answer, and let the dealer read it. Again, thank you.
You're right it should be a job for the dealer,BUT he can't get the answer from a plug in unit so he don't know how to fix it.

The coil is only $50 in the USA and if he'll warrenty it change it your self and go riding

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like many had the coil problem. Did Ski-Doo made an official documentation issue report? Do they have some official statement we can read? If yes, where?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds like many had the coil problem. Did Ski-Doo made an official documentation issue report? Do they have some official statement we can read? If yes, where?
No I don't think there was a big issue, I have 40000 miles on these engines and the only failure has been on the 2015 900 gsx.I had a 900 last year with 6000 miles and am on a 900 this year with 5000 miles and a 2011 600 with 22000 miles, all the same coil.

So the 15 the wife is riding just turned 4000 and have done 2 on hers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since the dealer didn't solve the problem, by following your instruction, I solved the problem. It was a purple little wire, connected to the coil, that was loose. I connected it safe, so it doesn't get loose easily. Problem solved! But still, I'm not satisfied at the dealer. I also reported it to the dealer, and I hope we all learned something from this case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ah ha so it was a coil problem, glad you found it , now find a different dealer.

How did you find it?
Sadly, it is the only dealer in Sisimiut, Greenland. I took of the hood, unplugged the grey connectors to the coils. All three cylinders changed tones when removed, but I noticed the third sounded weaker than the others. I found the problem by just pressing gently the connected connector, since the sound get more weak every time I pressed. Looked like the problem was in other place. I checked the wires in the grey connector, and found that the purple wire was a bit loose. I connected it safe, and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good to hear you found the cause of the problem.

Thanks for sharing the information in case someone else experiences a similar issue with their ACE.

·
Registered
13,874 Posts
You would think the dealers computer would show a code for coil failure but it was the same issue for me and my 09' e-tec. I lost a coil and was only running on one cylinder but the BUDS computer didn't show any faults.

Reactions: Aqqalu
1 - 20 of 21 Posts