Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...is it just me or what or is there anyone else find the throttle side much heavier then the left, i mean i'm literally putting most my weight "driver side" just to keep it dragging to the right!! :sad_old:

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
...is it just me or what or is there anyone else find the throttle side much heavier then the left, i mean i'm literally putting most my weight "driver side" just to keep it dragging to the right!! :sad_old:
No, I can't say I've noticed that. It is MUCH harder to side-hill on the left side, but I assume that's because I have to be holding the right side to operate the throttle. Very much want a left-hand throttle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I find that the 1200's are very heavy on the throttle side, due to the weight of the muffler I believe. When I tried a 1200 in some snow it felt like I was constantly working.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right, the left handed throttle is a must, i'm ashamed to say it probably has more to do with my 230lb "frame" it doesn't take much to sway her from one side or the other! :sad_old:

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find that the 1200's are very heavy on the throttle side, due to the weight of the muffler I believe. When I tried a 1200 in some snow it felt like I was constantly working.
that's the feeling i get with the 900, we don't have snow worthwhile yet to fully test.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know the muffler is no lightweight, and the gear train must be heavy.

Now that you mention it, on the SWT last April, every time it went over in the rotten snow, it was on the muffler side. I'll pay more attention with the Prius too.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I don't notice it as much on the SWT but on the WT prior to adding liners it was very evident. It's probably muffler and gearbox weight. I'm putting on a MBRP can for the race just to shave 9lbs off. Not sure that it'll fit without modification but I should find out in a week to 10 days!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm among the least experienced of riders you can imagine, but I'll share my observations. I've been using my Expedition 900 ACE the last few weeks scouting for land for my wife and I to build on. I've spent probably 30% of my machine's 105 miles off trail, climbing over bumps and bushes and trees. Three times now I've "been thrown" from the machine because I got it off balance while climbing with a touch too much acceleration. All three times the machine rolled to the right. I have also noticed a slight tendency on soft packed trails for it to want to drift right, but that has been pretty limited.

I don't know if these observations support your hypothesis, or are they simply because I am conditioned to drive a vehicle on the right side of the road/trail? Dunno.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine went over on it's side a few times too, always on the right, last time was couple of days ago in a ice crevice and got jammed there, took me and my buddy 1 1/2 hours to saw her out with a chainsaw, i thought i was getting clumsy with age, as i'm driving "straight" line she want to drift to the right as well, by times i look like one of those motorcycle racers with my knee dragging in the snow, it won't be a pretty sight if my shin hits a bellycater or rock! :blink_old:

Reactions: J. McNugget

·
Registered
198 Posts
I found that problem too on my first rides in powder last year.

Once i got acustomed to shifting my weight to balance out the right side pull,now im ok.

I think its getting used to a different machine

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
it wouldn't be that tough to put a scale under each ski and see what the actual numbers are.

maybe stick a tundra suspension subframe on the left to balance it all out :wink_old:

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I can't say I've noticed that. It is MUCH harder to side-hill on the left side, but I assume that's because I have to be holding the right side to operate the throttle. Very much want a left-hand throttle.
I drove my son's expy for a few hundred kms last year and i didn't notice it either, i'm guessing it's because of the wider stance, better front sup.?

I haven't swapped over to the HD front springs yet either! :headbang

·
Registered
522 Posts
I don't notice it as much on the SWT but on the WT prior to adding liners it was very evident. It's probably muffler and gearbox weight. I'm putting on a MBRP can for the race just to shave 9lbs off. Not sure that it'll fit without modification but I should find out in a week to 10 days!!
That's going to awesome lol SWT with a can on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I drove my son's expy for a few hundred kms last year and i didn't notice it either, i'm guessing it's because of the wider stance, better front sup.?

I haven't swapped over to the HD front springs yet either! :headbang
90% better now i have finally installed the HD pogo springs! :smile_old:

Reactions: J. McNugget

·
Registered
885 Posts
That's going to awesome lol SWT with a can on it.

Yeah...we were contemplating running a straight pipe so we could at least sound fast!! LOL!! 9lbs is 9lbs. I'd say we have 20 pounds of steel and welding on her now so we gotta counteract it somehow. Also, MBRP is helping us out. Gusseting is 99% complete, wiring is done and front and rear racks/light mounts should be done next week. Spray on some LineX, install the lights, slap on a few stickers and were are off to the races. I bet you this will be a first for the can though??

·
Registered
522 Posts
For sure. I bet it will sound nice though. Little 3 banger probably have a nice note to it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You guys are all missing the easy solution. :) Or at least what usually would be my solution.

MORE GEAR on the left side. :) I can easily make a list of 10lbs of tools to put on the left side.

(lol). :) :) :)

Actually, on a serious note, I haven't checked out the 900 yet, but my friends ACE 600 TNT that I keep

here has tons of room up front under the hood (no Air Radiator) - I put an emergency kit there for her in

a large bag. Could easily counterbalance a pipe. :)

One time we were riding and she heard a funny noise and she asked me to ride it for a spell - I asked her if

the though it could be her emergency kit bouncing around in the front - She said "I don't have an emergency kit"

"Yes, you do I said. :)" - I couldn't sleep if her sled didn't have one. :) Sound turned out to be just ice in the tunnel

rubbing the track occasionally.

Reactions: suv1

·
Registered
885 Posts
OOOOOH...a 900 ACE SWT sounds so beautiful with a MBRP can!!! It took some cutting, bending and welding but it is installed. I might try for a short video for you guys this weekend. With any luck by next Thursday I'll be ready for full test runs. I need to evaluate this weight change in the snow to see if it wants to run somewhat level, get my own impressions of the clutch update towing a load, dial in the shocks, figure out if I'm gonna offset the saddle on the Gen II's and test all the wiring upgrades. And on top of that I need to get myself acclimated to riding the beast again. This build up has been going at a snails pace but we'll be ready.

·
Registered
885 Posts
You guys are all missing the easy solution. :) Or at least what usually would be my solution.

MORE GEAR on the left side. :) I can easily make a list of 10lbs of tools to put on the left side.

(lol). :) :) :)

Actually, on a serious note, I haven't checked out the 900 yet, but my friends ACE 600 TNT that I keep

here has tons of room up front under the hood (no Air Radiator) - I put an emergency kit there for her in

a large bag. Could easily counterbalance a pipe. :)

One time we were riding and she heard a funny noise and she asked me to ride it for a spell - I asked her if

the though it could be her emergency kit bouncing around in the front - She said "I don't have an emergency kit"

"Yes, you do I said. :)" - I couldn't sleep if her sled didn't have one. :) Sound turned out to be just ice in the tunnel

rubbing the track occasionally.
Yup, no problem to offset the weight, but I'm aiming to lighten up the front end. The can shaves 10lbs off and I'm happy with that. The only other addition up there now will be my water bottle holders on the PTO side which should even things out just nicely (as you have indicated).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts