Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sled is all stock; last week it wouldn't re-start after getting warmed up. Both plugs wet. Found mag side carb needle to be partially stuck. Freed it up, put 'em both back, fired right up and sounded good. Chalked it up to a little dirt. Next day, won't start, same drill all over. 2-1/2 gals gas gone from just sitting overnite with petcock on! With both plugs out and pulling the rope, I get gasoline 6 feet in the air from both plug holes. Now I'm thinking bad fuel pump?? Or do I keep chasing needles/seats??

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Probably your inlet needle are worn or you leave your sled on a trailer "face down" overnite,often the engine will flood.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sounds like a Needle and inlet problam. I think this sled came with a gas shut off. Just use the shut off and problem should go away until you clean the carb.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to post those pics, but I've got no camera; sorry! Trust me, it looked like nothing I've ever seen: not just a mist of gas but oodles of it!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey tnt_fa...lemme know if you needa complete seat for your newly acquired 89Mach, I have a nice one that I'll never use on the '90...

·
Master Electrician
2,304 Posts
Dude I think that is hillarious! If You remove the carbs.disassemble and clean'em out good. Be carefull and take Your time.Replace the needle and seat and the floats. The reason it's flooding is because the floats are not floating. Our gas these days is very bad. Every year I clean My carbs and the green stuff that collects in the bowls and jets is what deteriorates the seats,and everything rubber. Clean'em up good and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree--today's gas sux!! I'm a regular comedian just like the next guy, and I'm here to tell ya this one was no s--t!! SIX FEET EASY!! In fact, my sled is parked about ten feet away from my driveway, and the dam driveway got a little wet with gas!! I dunno how many fluid ounces a 583 crankcase holds, but I'm sure mine was full to the rim when I was yankin' on the freakin' ripcord!! Anyway, I'm gonna use the petcock for now as just a stopgap measure, but when I take it apart again I'm gonna do as you say and do both sets of needles/seats and floats and also the fuel pump...cuz I'll bet ya the diaphram in that dam thing was just letting gas by it and directly into the crankcase while sitting idle with the petcock open...

·
Vintage DOO lover
1,205 Posts
Bob Rudd said:
Hey tnt_fa...lemme know if you needa complete seat for your newly acquired 89Mach, I have a nice one that I'll never use on the '90...
[snapback]742440[/snapback]​
Well my 89 seat is in pretty nice shape. It does have some minor imperfections. What part of the world are you from?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Central Connecticut...

·
Vintage DOO lover
1,205 Posts
It's a bit of a drive for something I really don't need. However if you get some pics of it somehow some way let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts