Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dootalkers,

I am running a 860r big bore on my 2008 summit, I am just wondering what the best exhaust can is to run with this setup. Obviously stock is good, but are there any afternarket cans that have close to stock flow that won't kill my power? Just looking to drop a little weight without sacrificing power. Thanks for the input!

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
Normally the "builder" of the BB kit will offer their recommendations on what cans to run or at least what cans to stay away from (to tight). I myself run a modified SPI. Turbo Al will build you a specific can as well. I hear good things about Dynoport too.

·
"The most hated man on DooTalk"
20,506 Posts
I run a custom "Thing" can from Al at Boulder Sled Shed as SRC mentioned. He's a great guy to deal with!

·
Armchair Interweb Coach
102,561 Posts
Stock pipe and HPS can was my old set up........

Like mentioned before, every BB shop recommends different exhausts

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Normally the "builder" of the BB kit will offer their recommendations on what cans to run or at least what cans to stay away from (to tight). I myself run a modified SPI. Turbo Al will build you a specific can as well. I hear good things about Dynoport too.
ewe r correct they should! but we found out different and how the BB motor needs more flow to maintain the correct pressures. My Thing that was perfect pressure @ 9K feet[ because Al built it for 9K feet] with a 2-1/4 outlet was Waaay tight at 4-5 K feet [ over 4.3 lbs]and had to open up the outlet to 2.5 inch to get pressures back down to the 3 lb number, When I did that I had to click down from #3 to #1 and still added a 1.5 grams. so if you are running a BB have All build it for the elevation you ride , NO off the shelf can will likely hit the desired pressure unless you simply get lucky.if a can was built correctly it will be good for the flow of a 800cc that is was intended for.SRC and I did testing with many different cans on a 860 and a 880, The Thing was the magic performer.

·
"The most hated man on DooTalk"
20,506 Posts
ewe r correct they should! but we found out different and how the BB motor needs more flow to maintain the correct pressures. My Thing that was perfect pressure @ 9K feet[ because Al built it for 9K feet] with a 2-1/4 outlet was Waaay tight at 4-5 K feet [ over 4.3 lbs]and had to open up the outlet to 2.5 inch to get pressures back down to the 3 lb number, When I did that I had to click down from #3 to #1 and still added a 1.5 grams. so if you are running a BB have All build it for the elevation you ride , NO off the shelf can will likely hit the desired pressure unless you simply get lucky.if a can was built correctly it will be good for the flow of a 800cc that is was intended for.SRC and I did testing with many different cans on a 860 and a 880, The Thing was the magic performer.
You seem to know a lot about pipes and cans. :shrug :p

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info folks. I got a good deal on a hps, but if that doesn't work out for me I'll have to get in touch with this Al guy, he sounds like the real deal.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I might add that I have an expensive high tech pipe pressure gauge mounted in my dash. all our can testing was done properly and accurate readings were taken at different elevations. A can is only in tune for about 4 K feet span.

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
low or high elevation 860??

makes a difference-BJ

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
OK

SPI trail or dynoport trail with 2" outlet for your BB...

both on the quiter side and have enough volume/air flow for a BB at low elevation...BJ

·
Premium Member
27,900 Posts
I might add that I have an expensive high tech pipe pressure gauge mounted in my dash. all our can testing was done properly and accurate readings were taken at different elevations. A can is only in tune for about 4 K feet span.
Do you have a link to the high tech pipe pressure gauge? Is it similar to the NEMA-4X digital pressure gauge?

http://www.omega.ca/googlebase/product_en.html?pn=DPG1100B-100G&gclid=Cj0KEQjwipi4BRD7t6zGl6m75IgBEiQAn7CfFwqw92loSGLu66Q1iq-4KPgTXgkF5iEeQwFewcmJH6MaAhJ68P8HAQ

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
that is the gauge, They are pricey, I have a few new kits left if interested , I package the kit to include all the necessary fittings , tubing ect.. There are only 3 people who have actually tested and seen the value of pipe pressures last season. SRC, and I also sent a Kit to BJ.

·
Summer Sucks!!!!!
8,989 Posts
that is the gauge, They are pricey, I have a few new kits left if interested , I package the kit to include all the necessary fittings , tubing ect.. There are only 3 people who have actually tested and seen the value of pipe pressures last season. SRC, and I also sent a Kit to BJ.
Almost the same, these read to 30psi not 100psi.

·
Premium Member
27,900 Posts
yes the pressure ranges do vary. the 0 to 10 or 0-5 psi is what I preferred best. great resolution and accuracy. good catch SRC. the whole kit is $ 375
It's a low cost to ensure the right pressure out of the exhaust system. Must work great to tune for elevation. Can any loss in elevation be gained back? For example say a 20% loss in power from sea level to 6000 ft, can an exhaust tune lower any of this 20% loss or does it need to be combined with higher compression?

·
Vendor
4,818 Posts
daag- your catching on :smile_old: -BJ

Reactions: Daag44
1 - 20 of 47 Posts