Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
121 - 140 of 178 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
After my golf trip I came down with COVID so that forced me to stay home (and work on the 86). Only two days did I really feel sick. The tunnel is STILL at powder coat. I have the hood all ready for paint and the rear suspension is coming along. All new bearings, a few new wheels and a few new bushings. Overall, the suspension looked to be in pretty good shape. The previous owner was trying to modify this 86 with a 92 suspension and track. I'm keeping everything stock 86.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Tread

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Bumper Automotive exterior
Valve Gas Coil spring Cylinder Plumbing valve

Wood Auto part Gas Suspension Automotive tire

Wood Gas Bicycle part Auto part Metal
Bicycle part Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Automotive lighting

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Did the powder coating guy ever tell you about the progress with the blasting...? What media did he use to get the old stuff off the tunnel...?

I had to use two different powder coaters. The first one did a great job on the tubular frame, trailing arms, rear bulkhead, etc. He did everything except the tunnel which he thought that it would warp when removing the epoxy primer via grit blast. I thank him for that as to not risk damaging it. He recommended a chemical strip which he could not do.

I used to be a mechanic at P&W overhaul facility during my "younger" years. When not on the road and it got slow. we were assigned to the clean line where you may end up grit, vapor, or chem cleaning parts. I was thinking the cooler vapor blast method would work and that was my basis for searching out someone who could vapor blast.

The second powder coater said he would do it using a chemical dip. He tried and tried and finally bought a new chemical stripper. I was patient and so was he. He stuck to the original price even though he had many more hours into it than he estimated. It came out just ok.. Nasty epoxy primer was 1/8th inch thick in places.

Yesterday the rear bulkhead, rear bumper, data plates, gas tank studs, and the four rear suspension stiffener brackets were riveted on. Then the black rivet heads are touched up with black enamel. Up to the garage it went and was put into position for attachment to the frame. Hopefully I can rivet the two together, get the heat exchangers riveted and maybe some assembly done.

I have a few rear suspension pats that are coming in this week and that should take care of my shortages. My goal is on the snow by February 15.

Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Gas Cylinder
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Picture frame Window

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Bad news...The front tubular frame has rot holes in the bottom of it. The powder coater grit blasted the frame and then powder coated right over the holes...lots of them. I did not notice nor inspect the bottom of the tubes before I started riveting the tunnel on. I did not inspect between the grit blast and the powder coat either. I thought the powder coater would look at it between grit and coat and alert me. So, I drilled out all the rivets that I installed and removed the tunnel again. I have to collect my thoughts on this one.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Membranophone

· Registered
509 Posts
So, options are find another frame to get that part which probably has some rust issues as well or patch it or cut that part out and fab up a section to replace the rusted area. That really sucks! tough to move two steps forward to have to go back again! How are your fab skills? a good race shop or a good metal fabrication shop can do that fairly quickly and it would look good too is the tube round? if so it is easy enough.

· Registered
6,128 Posts
That sucks, I think I would be having it repaired by welding in a new section and just painting it after. I don’t see me sending it back out for powdercoat for an area that can’y be seen. Finding another bird cage is possible but hard to know its condition until its removed. Depends on your fussiness level, timeline and budget.

Sucks that the blaster hadn’t mentioned that there were issues.

· Registered
509 Posts
I have a lead on a NEW one. Fingers crossed.

Funny, the first powder coater said that I should have inspected it between blast and coating. LOL
Hmmm I would have an issue with that! I wonder how many customers he has that powder coat metal with rust holes in it? Not the best customer service! that will sink him in the end!

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 · (Edited)
I have a brand new spare front frame still in crate. Not for sale, as it's already lined up for a coming project. But please let me know if you need some dimensions measured.
Thank you. NOT for a long track. YAY!!!!!!

I am picking it up today. I want to put my tunnel on it to maintain the VIN anyways.

Per the parts catalog there are three different part numbers for the chassis. (Plus, MX, MXLT). So, what is the difference between the MX and the Plus chassis?

121 - 140 of 178 Posts