Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
101 - 120 of 178 Posts

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Hi Pete. Yes, somebody has been in there before me. There were a few nicks and scratches that would not have been there from the factory. It also looks like Yamabond was used on the case split. It is an 86 motor based on the casting mark on the crankcase. 3989KM or 2478 MILES by the odometer. The tunnel is still at the powder coater's. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he can get it done.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
The motor is apart. The pistons and rings were at the maximum wear limits. It needs to go 0.010 oversize pistons and rings. Everything else cleaned up nicely. I am still waiting the word from the powder coating guy.

I did get the muffler and manifolds cleaned up and painted. The expansion chamber (pipe) needs more than a wire brush, sand, and paint. First, can anyone tell me that the pipe is the correct pipe? It is different than the 85 Plus pipe by part number and appearance. I would love to find a better one.

Automotive tire Tread Wood Synthetic rubber Gas
Gas Machine Electrical wiring Electronic device Cable
Art Wood Publication Table Sculpture
Newspaper Fish Wood Publication Seafood
Watch Gauge Wood Measuring instrument Clock

Motor vehicle Automotive engine gasket Gas Automotive exterior Bumper
Gas Auto part Machine Pattern Personal protective equipment

Automotive tire Gas Wood Engineering Machine
Gas Auto part Font Engineering Machine

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I had a few work stoppages. The tunnel is at the powder coater (the second one, that can strip the epoxy primer) and I keep hoping that I get the text that it is ready to get picked up. I was waiting for the RV front bearing that I f'd up. I got the bearing today and started reassembly of the motor. However, I'm going on a golf trip and that will set me back another week.
Gas Auto part Tool Wood Metal

Gas Machine Auto part Metal Font

· Registered
233 Posts
Beatiful work! I have a 86 Formula SP in storage for 15 years. This makes me want to get it out. My fear is I put a few gallons of ethenol the last time it was run and I never drained it!

How did you get that secondary to look so new? Amazing job on that belly pan too.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Golf ! It’s mid December
I went on a golf trip to the US southwest.

Beatiful work! I have a 86 Formula SP in storage for 15 years. This makes me want to get it out. My fear is I put a few gallons of ethenol the last time it was run and I never drained it!
How did you get that secondary to look so new? Amazing job on that belly pan too.
Thanks. Good luck on your SP. The fuel system needs to be completely removed, disassembled, and cleaned or replaced. Unfortunately the sending unit in the tank will more than likely be rotted. The removal of the sending unit usually results in the inserts spinning in the tank. At that point the screws need to be drilled into. Then drill bit changed to a slightly larger size and drilled until it catches the insert and spins it. With it spinning at a high RPM, pull up and the insert softeneds the plastic enough to pull out. I then used JBWeld to install some larger inserts. If I do not find a good replacement unit, I will install a blank-off plate. I wish someone made a repair kit for the flange. After you remove the sending unit and the pickup, use a good solvent and a cup full of nuts and bolts in the fuel tank. Shake, drain, repeat as necessary. I used denatured alcohol although I cannot vouch for the safety of it.

I used an ultra-sonic cleaner, brass bushes, Commet, ultra-sonic again on the clutches. I then use a small amount of silver paint on a rag and wipe it on and immediately off. I do not paint it on. I apply it like I would wood stain on a piece of furniture. Of course, do not apply any silver to the faces.

· Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 · (Edited)
Back from the 9 day golf trip. Got back home at 1am this morning. Up early to get a few things done on the Plus. The tunnel is still not done at the powder coaters. I was hoping that there would be a message to come pick it up. Ugh.
For the motor, the crank and cases are together always making sure that ther3 is no step in the case seems where it matters (RV static face and the magneto mounting flange). With the bolts run down and the cases pulled together, I use a mallet to adjust the cases left to right and front to back so there is no step.
Sky Plant Building Mountain Window

Sky Atmosphere Azure Cloud Air travel
Automotive tire Engineering Gas Machine Auto part

Engineering Gas Automotive design Aluminum can Auto part
Gas Machine Engineering Auto part Metal

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Gear Rim Wood stain

101 - 120 of 178 Posts