Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to do pistons in my '17 Summit 850 turbo. Sitting about 3400 miles, about 500 of those are boosted on pump gas turbo setup (200hp).
I noticed BRP has updated the piston part # from 420 893 791 for the original to the new '21 850/Turbo piston part # 420 893 796.
Anybody know what Ski-doo updated on the piston design, I'm assuming for more abusive from the factory turbo?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I need to do pistons in my '17 Summit 850 turbo. Sitting about 3400 miles, about 500 of those are boosted on pump gas turbo setup (200hp).
I noticed BRP has updated the piston part # from 420 893 791 for the original to the new '21 850/Turbo piston part # 420 893 796.
Anybody know what Ski-doo updated on the piston design, I'm assuming for more abusive from the factory turbo?
Is that new part number the same for turbo and non turbo 850's?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that new part number the same for turbo and non turbo 850's?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yes, -796 is the new part # for both the non-turbo & turbo 850's

·
Registered
446 Posts
The top ends on the 850s are pretty solid. I bet 90% of the failures that occur to them are rod bearings.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had any problems with my stock pistons at all...but I'm wondering if Doo lowered the crown height -or- maybe even increased dome cc's to lower the compression ratio for the factory turbo?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some times a new part #s just a new vendor .
True.
Doo has used Elko pistons for as long as I can remember...back to the Series III days.

Reactions: krm

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I'd give John at SHR Sledhead Raceing a call see if he has a better piston for ya.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd give John at SHR Sledhead Raceing a call see if he has a better piston for ya.

Already contacted him. He wasn't aware of the part # change.
He's gonna look into the possible changes, but hasn't got back to me either.
There's really nothing wrong with the stock Doo piston, even boosted. I'd take an Elko piston over a Wiseco any day of the week. Now if its a Wossner forged, I'd give one of those a go no problem. They've been great in my dirt bikes, same with Vertex.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
There's really nothing wrong with the stock Doo piston, even boosted. I'd take an Elko piston over a Wiseco any day of the week. Now if its a Wossner forged, I'd give one of those a go no problem. They've been great in my dirt bikes, same with Vertex.
Busy guy, ya Skidoo pistons are good piston, I'm not particularly fan of Wiseco pistons.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Busy guy, ya Skidoo pistons are good piston, I'm not particularly fan of Wiseco pistons.

·
Premium Member
28,113 Posts
When it comes to forged pistons, I'm not convinced that a snowmobile should be compared to MX.
Edit: Never mind, I just noticed the handlename and remember some of your experience. I may as well add that both can work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts