Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 2017 850 back from the dealer in time for one last trip at the end of last season. I had blown the motor and had a new one put in under warranty at Rob's Performance (who I like and trust). I have rode it about 400-500 miles so far this year and there is a heavy vibration coming from either the motor or clutch. I didn't recall it being that rough so I rode my friends 2017 850 and it is smooth, just like I remembered mine being.

I changed the belt and no difference. I checked the motor mounts and see no issues. I inspected the clutch and didn't see anything obvious. The sled has 5,000 miles so figured it may be time for a clutch rebuild and will be doing that this week. It doesn't seem like the vibration is coming from the track, but I checked it. There is definitely signs of 5,000 miles and a couple chunks of the ripsaw missing, but I am confident this is not where the problem is. I did put a Grip n Rip engine mount torque stop o ring in before I rode it this year. Is it possible that is transferring that much more vibration through the floor boards?

Anybody with advice on what else to check, assuming it is not the clutch?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
If you didn't notice it last season it's probably the oring you put in.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
Any chance the clutch is mounted wrong???

With the wobble clutch I'm not sure if thats possible but considering a new engine was installed maybe the clutch wasn't installed with the alignment marks in the proper place.

Yup, I'm just grasping here.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had similar symptoms last year. Thought it was clutch related or ice in skid area etc. Warranty jack shaft and bearings. Vibration gonzo. Just fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
I had similar symptoms last year. Thought it was clutch related or ice in skid area etc. Warranty jack shaft and bearings. Vibration gonzo. Just fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bent track drivers can cause this too. Riding in Tug Hill on a Saturday afternoon is a good way to tweak one.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking possibly the jack shaft bearings as well so will check those next. I'm not sure how to tell if they updated the motor mounts to summit. If that was a recall I would hope they did. Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have summit mounts all the way around on my mxz and im not noticing any more or less vibrations compared to original ones that came stock

·
Registered
221 Posts
Have you considered removing the red Polly stopper and putting things back to stock to see if you experience the same vibrations?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
After I did a grip and rip alignment on my 18 it vibrated something awful. I sure like the 600 r for smoothness

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I would bet its your mount you installed. Remove the mount and test ride, it's the only way you will know for sure.

Bob

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Putting the stock stopper back in is the last thing to check. I am heading north this weekend and will throw the stock back in to see. Thanks again for all the feedback.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I'm not believing your vibration is due to the stopper. I put in the red poly stopper a year ago and never notice any vibration. I'm suspecting there is some kind of mismatch in the parts that the dealer installed when he did your engine swap.
Seems likely it's the clutch mounting.

·
Registered
21 MXZ XRS 850
3,775 Posts
I cant believe I am the first to say, CALL ROB. His lead tech is Scott and they both for sure will help you out. If the work was done under warranty then you shouldnt be messing with it. Rob and his staff will double check it to make sure it is correct as can be for the miles.

With that being said, 5,000 miles can cause other issues especially with driveline bearings.

Hoe bad it vibrates at idle would be the indicator if it is engine/clutch related.

CALL ROB.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
And my only point was that when I perform service on anything and it doesn't act right afterwards, I always go back to what I did as the probable cause. That's why if it were my sled and it was good before the stopper (which he installed after the new engine was installed correct?) I'd start with removing that. If that didn't fix it, I'd be back at the dealer too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts