Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Backcountry with 5000 km on it. It's become very twitchy at low speed maneuvers like loading on the trailer. Very hard to be smooth as it lurches with minimal throttle input.
Before anyone starts telling me I should buy a 600 don't bother. I've driven several 850s and what I'm seeing is NOT normal. I'm at low elevation in Ontario and unfortunately not able to do any further test riding. I'd love to sort this out before I store it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Maybe the clutch springs need replacing? ...or the clutches need cleaning?

My Summit is the same... My 850 is very twitchy and I find it annoying to try to maneuver the sled for slow movements or even for parking and backing up. I am considering a clutch kit for that very reason.

With my old 600 e-tec renegade, I put a Dynamo Joe kit in it and that made the low speed (creeping) manners way better. I could engage the clutches at around 4000rpms and lightly let off the throttle and creep along at closer to 3500 or 3600 before the clutch would disengage. I could smoothly creep along at a slow walking speed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
An update for this topic.
I cleaned my clutch, installed a new belt and adjusted it. The belt did not look worn but was very "glossy" or hard on the side compared to the new one.
Also changed the plugs. The old ones were very black but that may be due to some premix that was in the gas I used. It's all I had at the time but I've flushed it out for fresh ethanol free gas and stabilizer.
It definitely seems better but hard to tell since I could only test on 20' of paved driveway.

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
if it was working good and then it wasn't, then it may simply be a worn part. Other than that, imo everything you need to know about clutch engagement jerking is in the following thread. As an FYI, I have never seen this subject ever get near the level of the following thread, so I would not even suggest searching any further. It is one of those rare cases with only one thread to focus on.

850 gade x under 20mph
Started By Radicalrex, Feb 15 2020 09:32 PM

·
Premium Member
27,902 Posts
By the way, when I wrote in that thread that <The deflection adjustment is one thing I do differently> I only meant that I do not adjust the deflection as tight as others may go, which is only a hairline difference to promote better belt slip at idle. It is only to say that I prefer to solve the jerkiness with other means than super tight deflection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts