Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Hmmm. The spindle and the arm are black and look to be exactly like my 85. It looks like the slide for the sway bar shoes was welded on after. I could only guess.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes was a real pain. Alot of guys I know straight piped them and the machs. But obnoxious loud. Mines cut open and done. Bombardier actually had a a recall on that back then. That sled had a ton of recalls actually. I have the bombardier recall book. I’ll post some info next day or two
My brother got a 'u pipe' from the dealer & a piece of small OD exhaust pipe & fabbed a stinger. OMG, it was loud. One evening I waited for him @ a boat launch (predetermined time) so he could lead me down to his in laws' cottage. I could hear him fire up the sled run down the lake. That Sun' evening when he got back to the parents' place, the stinger came off & the 'tomato juice can' went back on.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hmmm. The spindle and the arm are black and look to be exactly like my 85. It looks like the slide for the sway bar shoes was welded on after. I could only guess.
A repair possibly?

Kimpex has had PRS trailing arms for years. Still listed in the Royal catalog. From '85 to '93, except the 91s which apparently are different.

What are you guys using for ski bolt bushings? I know the powdered metal ones fell apart in my Mach 1. I turned some replacements out of bronze or oilite.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
The Kimpex arms are a very close copy of originals, perhaps lighter grade as far as quality but very close appearance wise. Yes 91 used a totally different sway bar mount on the arm, otherwise the rest is the same.

Curt, when you have a chance post a pic of your arms, I have never seen these before as far as the boxed style with 90 degree corners. As far as colour, a lot can happen in 35 plus years lol.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The Kimpex arms are a very close copy of originals, perhaps lighter grade as far as quality but very close appearance wise. Yes 91 used a totally different sway bar mount on the arm, otherwise the rest is the same.

Curt, when you have a chance post a pic of your arms, I have never seen these before as far as the boxed style with 90 degree corners. As far as colour, a lot can happen in 35 plus years lol.
I recall hearing that they were of a lighter construction.

I had to look back @ the pics & I hadn't noticed the flat top & bottom that you mention.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Yes I mentioned they were lighter grade - but so is a rusted OEM lol. Seen some pretty thin. Strangely I have never bent one on a PRS but have bent a couple on Polaris wedges.

One interesting story from back in the day, my brother in law was driving an 89 MX, almost new, we had parked our pick-ups at an old train station to catch the trail in Quebec. We rode all day, got back to the trucks and his carbide caught crossing the train track and buckled the trailing arm. At least we were back. The story of two wrecked sleds including a brand new Mach 1 trying to get some good pictures, well thats another story….

·
Registered
1976 elan 250 2020 Polaris xc600 2022 renegade xtr
77 Posts
Those are rugged looking. Not like the cheap stamped steel ones that were on my old 92 plus

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Got the pan on today. It came out pretty good compared to what it looked like. The bottom of the pan was all cracked and separated near the boots. I added the doublers so the bottom is now three plies.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire
Tire Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
A friend went to the dealer yesterday. The 7500 is now on a Ski-doo carpet (I want that). Eventually it will be moved up onto a shelf in the showroom. I do miss it.
Automotive design Engineering Motor vehicle Machine Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would trade my wife for that and she’s hot too just like the sled ! Actually her x husband has one hanging in the rafters of his basement that I have tried to get out of him for years with no luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No I found her first and found out about the sled later lol. Don’t understand why he wouldn’t give me that too haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Eight weeks into it. Some more progress. The hood is now actually ready for paint and should go off to the booth this week. I bought Kimpex skis and they are really pieces of doo-doo. The upper skin was not welded so that the bolt hole aligned. Once I reamed out the hole, the bolt could not be installed until after I bent the outer edge down. The welds look like they were done with by a child (maybe they were). There is already some rust between the upper skin and the lower and there was a kink in the upper skin.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hand Tire Wheel Hood Bicycle tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Bumper
Automotive tire Rim Water Bicycle part Tread

101 - 120 of 156 Posts